Mustang generations

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I searched but could not find in the forum.
At one time I was sure I found my 71 Mach was 2nd generation.
Someone questioned me saying it was 3rd, but when I search the web it shows 1st generation mustangs are 64 1/2, 65 trough 73.
I guess I need to change my thinking. My 71 Mach 1 is 1st generation.

• Sponsors (?)

The groupings seem to change as the cars have more model years to keep track of. I consider the 71 a Gen 1.4. The mechanicals may still be partially based on the Falcon, but size and appearance are far from a 1964.5.

Reactions: 1 user
Good job making it worse. :p What then would you call a Mach 1, Bullit, BOSS, Shelby, etc...?

Edit: when this traditional way of classified styles of Mustangs was started, car fans and magazines were convinced pony car and muscle cars were dead. The attitude persisted past when the 87 Mustangs were out due to not knowing what had started and what computer controls could help do.

When fans started grouping them, 58 years of the name plate of this new class was not even considered. In discussion groups, we are lumping model years together as the number on the road dwindle. Like 4 eyes, Aero nose, SN 95 (94/95) and modular SN95 cars are being pushed together with time, although there are build differences with some similarities in origin.

So instead of 4 generations right off the bat as they used to be classified, I still see
Early v. 1 64.5-66,
Early v. 2, 67-68 (although the front suspension changed),
Early v. 3 (or the “missed it by that much” years)
And Early v. 4. 71-73 (the muscle-boat-pony cars).
are all now early.
The upgrade and special models all fit in their respective year.

Last edited:
Thank you all.
I can agree with all the responses but, my conclusion is there is no official generation splits by years.
Other than the web which has 1st generation 65 - 73. As member 7991....... attached.
Attached- how polite! Historical dissertation rant is the label I expected.

Reactions: 1 user