Mustang got hit by idiot, Not 56k Friendly

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
So im driving on a 2 lane road in the right lane. Some idiot decided to come from the left lane last minute to take the 95 south on ramp to my right. Slammed on brakes. but he was only about 30 feet infront of me when trying this.

So my nose is shifted slightly to the passenger side. Radiator support pushed. and obviously i now need fenders and lights now.

Do you guys recommend having it pulled? Or Replacing the radiator support and frame/ Aprons like here. ~~~>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...TRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120355963706#ht_9907wt_1185

What would be more cost effective as well??? Rebuilding another car isnt really in my options right now...that would be a hell of alot of work.

My buddy does professional Auto Body work...Most of the cars he does are 60k and up vehicles. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. Only thing is he does't want to give me a price until i shop around first. I know it would be expensive....but i figure if i change the front frame work this would eliminate the very costly frame machine part of the process. I can handle bolting things like a k member in and other random parts which would reduce the labor he would charge me to welding the front frame in and hanging fenders.

And now for the carnage.......

PICT1138.jpg

PICT1139.jpg

PICT1140.jpg

PICT1142.jpg

PICT1143.jpg

PICT1147.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That looks pretty costly... Why not go through the insurance (either yours or his)???

By the time you are done with parts you are looking at at least $500 (2 fenders, header panel, headlights, radiator support panel)...

That looks pretty costly... Why not go through the insurance (either yours or his)???

By the time you are done with parts you are looking at at least $500 (2 fenders, header panel, headlights, radiator support panel)...

Well i can get both front fenders, header panel, Bumper cover for under $400....Then i figure $450 for the new front area....and prob. another $500 in him helping line some stuff up.

When stuff on a car gets pushed sideways theres a whole lot of bent stuff. Even the top of the radiator support is bent more than it should be. Thats why i figured why not rip it all out. and weld in a fresh piece.

THAT is not bad at all! I would have a frame shop "pull" that front-end. Does your buddy do that or know someone that would give you a good deal? After that, it's just a matter of hanging parts and that's easy.

Before I'd R&R that front subframe, I'd just swap all of the good stuff over to a good body shell. I think that once a car is apart like that, it will never be the same. Of course, it prolly wont be the same after being pulled, either.

Did you have just liability coverage, or something?

THAT is not bad at all! I would have a frame shop "pull" that front-end. Does your buddy do that or know someone that would give you a good deal? After that, it's just a matter of hanging parts and that's easy.

Before I'd R&R that front subframe, I'd just swap all of the good stuff over to a good body shell. I think that once a car is apart like that, it will never be the same. Of course, it prolly wont be the same after being pulled, either.

Did you have just liability coverage, or something?

Yeah liability which is making me rethink that one....I think im going full coverage from here on out. The Radiator support needs replacing and also the Bumper reinforcement if im going to keep it as is. But my buddy is making the frame machine sound like major work. Its tweaked over about an inch. I havent even tried opening the passenger door because it will hit the front fender.

Worst case i have a friend with a triton f150 and ill lock the chassis down by the sub frame connectors and have him yank the front over lol....But i dont want to go Redneck on it.

Sounds like its the other drivers fault. Why isn't his insurance paying for it?

3 Disgruntled men hop out of a minivan under the influence and i damn near got into a fight with them. They refused to show registration...i got the plate and made a police report the following day. I didn't have a cell phone and i hear insurance claims are no good unless a officer arrives at the scene and the report is made that night. I feel like im kinda F^*$#@ on this one.

Any ideas?

3 Disgruntled men hop out of a minivan under the influence and i damn near got into a fight with them. They refused to show registration...i got the plate and made a police report the following day. I didn't have a cell phone and i hear insurance claims are no good unless a officer arrives at the scene and the report is made that night. I feel like im kinda F^*$#@ on this one.

Any ideas?

You're not necessarily out of luck. Problem is, 'cause you only have liability your insurance company won't help you. Since the minivan wouldn't wait for the cops, would this technically be called a hit-and-run? Kinda too bad you filed a report already, I would have left the part out that they stopped. In California, the cops won't come out unless there's an injury or there's a lot of damage to city property. Other than that, you're on your own.

You may not have the person's insurance info, but you may be able to track down the owner of the vehicle and sue them in small claims court for the cost of the repair. A friend of mine did that when a woman hit her and the woman's insurance company refused to pay up.

Good luck, we all feel your pain.

Any ideas?

My insurance just needs the license plate. Then they pay me and go after the other party to recover their expenses.

Since you have the plate, you can start court proceedings and then get the Registered Owner's information in discovery.

The law says both parties must exchange insurance information and provide I.D. They did not and so they are as good as a hit and run even though they talked to you a little while.

To bad you didn't have a cell, you could have called while following them and the cops would have stopped them and if they were DUI, taken them to Jail.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your car. My brother got hit by a drunk driver last february, and she fled the scene, but someone got her license plate number. I just got her insurance information from the court house and filed a claim. It all kind of works out naturally after that. Since she fled the scene, her insurance company didn't even try and contest it. There really aren't too many legal issues when it comes to insurance. If the guys who hit you had insurance, I would just call their insurance company like you are filing a claim.

Kurt

sucks about the car.
I think it can be pulled. If the car still drives straight, then it's probably only bent fwd or the a-arms. and that's really minor.

Not sure about that. The passenger door makes contact with the passenger front fender So i haven't tried fully opening it. It def looks like everything slightly shifted from the firewall forward...Im tempted to swap the whole front frame and get a better result then trying to straighten bent metal.

dosent look too bad.
the pass fender may have just been pulled to the side,not the whole frame.
pull the fenders,then you can tell how straight the frame is.

did you speak to your ins company?
in my case,the ins agent (from my company,and the other drivers company)never inspected the car.
i sent them pics i took,then the next day i took it to the shop for an estimate.
mine was not a hit and run,as it is in your case.so i realize it will not be the same procedure.

i guess my point is,dont roll over and give up.
call your company and give them your story.
go to the dmv,you might be able to get their name and address.

good luck,and keep us updated.

Call your insurance and let them fight this for you. You may be SOL due to liability only but you never know. If you are a good client they should do what they can to track down the other car and insurance policy...

I contacted a friend the one that works at the body shop....he said hell put it on the frame machine and hang all the parts for $1200....But i have to buy the reinforcement bar, Header panel, Rad support, Front fenders, Bumper. I was looking at parts on ebay....so im probably looking at a total of $1600

Passenger fender was dented prior to this accident...I bought the car from someone who had his chick go off on the car.

When i popped the hood i could def tell the Apron wasn't where it was supposed to be. They will be removing the bent rad support and taking measurements. I guess he says theres a book that has all the distances of frame related parts.

They will be using the frame machine for my car on the weekend when the shop is closed.
Tell me whatcha guys think. I am also talking to a family attorney right now.

Posted via Mobile Device
those front end parts are easy enough to pull on your own.
i would check your local u pulls for the parts you need.
catch them on a half off day,and you can get the parts for way less than ebay.