mustang gt vs. charger rt

pile_53574

May 1, 2005
SW WI
My brother just bought an 06 charger rt with 5.7 HEMI, and we been bench racin. His is stock except CAI, our 06 mustang is stock except muffler delete, ours is 5 speed, his is auto, both of us are mediocre drivers. Both of us want to run them but haven't yet. Who do u guys think will be the victor?? I'm hoping my stang, if that dont work I'll have to get out my 69 and really kick a$$!!!:D

• Sponsors (?)

13.8 is about the best I've seen out of a Charger R/T stock. Does he have a tune, or did he just throw an intake on?

If he's not tuned, you should have no problem. If he's tuned, it'll come down to the driver.

The Stang's lighter weight will help off the line, but if the Charger does have a tune, his bigger motor could run you down in a hurry!
A buddy of mine's father in law had the SRT8 Charger. He drove it bone stock and it ran 13.1@108. Once it overcomes that massive weight off the launch, that power comes on strong at the big end!

I know about 8 people that have taken the challenger r/t's and Ive seen them un the charger r/t's and they took off. They are too heavy and you can tell.. They said it was an easy kill but I havent gotten the chance to yet. But it is a drivers race somewhat. If you know how to handle your 5 speed though you got it

I almost had the chance to find out today, but alas, our contest was not to be. I pulled up to a red light beside a bumble-bee-themed RT, so I threw her into neutral and let my mid-30-ish-looking opponent know my intentions. A cursory glance across the intersection, however, revealed a none-too-enthusiastic but otherwise dapper local policeman. I'm just guessing the RT was stock. Said driver didn't look like she had logged many hours at the local speedshop. I wish it would have went down, though; making mincemeat of RSXs and GTIs almost gets tiresome after a while :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Mustang easy! Last time at the track there was a charger on drag radials running 14.6 n up. Those r/ts are gay
Posted via Mobile Device

You are lighter, and if you can handle your Stang, its a easy kill. Those challengers look mean, but are heavy ! I secretly spy in their forums, and even modified ones with S/C's and Turbo's are still running mid to high 12's.

Yeah they're boats but they have alot of horsepower... if your friend gets a tune he can run 13.5's all day long (and that guy running 14.5's on the drag radials sounds like he's got a 6cyl) problem with the drag radials is... they usually blow out the axles within a dozen runs

Wasn't a 6cyl it was a daytona r/t, there was also a 300c srt8 that posted a best time of 14.2. They are not fast cars the weight just kills all that power.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: 1 user
I've beat more than a few 5.7L Hemi R/T's and 6.1L Hemi SRT-8's at our local tracks, and I have yet to be beaten by any of them. I was beating them before the supercharger went on, and now it's just not even a contest with the supercharger on my GT.

While most stock S197 GT's are mid to high 13 second 1/4 milers, the R/T's are typically about 14 flat, while the SRT-8's are typically low 13's in the 1/4 mile. If you're up against an R/T, they're easy to beat. If you line up against an SRT-8, you'd better be modded.

Ya'll forgetting that depending on the length of the race.. the Charger can EASILY take over the stang... Start off, the Stang will be ahead, but the charger can catch up quick. Like the rest of ya'll are saying, it is completly a Drivers Race. The Charger has a 5.7-liter V8 and the Stang has a 5.0- Liter V8... The Stang should win easy... but Like its been said.. Driver's Race :p