mustang heating problem

jackcito

Jun 15, 2018
peru
help me, i have a 95 cobra 5L with a constant overheating problem. around town it doesn't heat too much but loses coolant after about a week. going uphill or accelerating hard it heats up very quickly.
been to several mecanics with no solution. rad changed for an extra row and still the same.

• Sponsors (?)

I would start by testing for a bad head gasket, there is a test strip you can get from a auto parts store that detects combustion gases in the coolant, you can place a piece of cardboard under the engine and look for puddles, a competent repair shop would do a pressure test that most times shows leaking hoses and radiators, some just don't put the effort into locating problems, also check the passenger floor under the glove box area for heater core leaking.

Ive got the same 95 Cobra and have similar issues. Just charged up the Freon and if it over 90 degrees with AC on, the temperature starts to climb. Turn AC off and the temp normalizes. I did find a few leaks last year and discovered 2 of my freeze plugs were starting to corrode and were weeping fluid. My air deflector had gotten flimsy so I replaced it only problem is the aftermarket one I got from the online mustang guys was significantly shorter. I need to find a longer one or fabricate one that really pulls air up to the radiator. I need to figure out if my fan is kicking on when AC is turned on. Also plan to blow out the radiator to make sure its getting max air over the fins and will likely do a flush. Good luck, overheating ruins the drive.