Mustang Idling/Power Loss Question

Get E Up 98

Apr 18, 2004
Everytime I drive my mustang and start getting it up the road it wants to hesitate and this just started recently. Especially when I gun it it has the pickup of a neon. It's awful and the exhaust sound isnt right either. It's not the normal mustang roar but putts. And another thing is when its idling it is like sitting in a drag car. Shaking real bad and idling just at 500 rpms. I also noticed a real strong odor of fuel coming from the exhaust pipes. Even when I roll down my windows I get a nice whiff of it. What do you guys think? I have a feeling I know what it is. But if its the case then why the crappy acceleration? I am baffled... :shrug:

I am also looking for an h/x pipe for my stang as well. Needs to fit a 98 gt so lemme know what ya want for it

• Sponsors (?)

same boat....

i got similar probs. It my be misfiring. I got a code cylinder 4 misfire.. but it went away just as i was inspecting the engine. It could just be a vaccum leak. Only hoses i changed were the ones from the throttle body. It didn't help. Where are other vaccum leak possiblities?

Or spark plugs/wires..
I don't know much but cats could be going bad? don't know how the car would act...
coil packs tooo. If they got drenched in water like engine bay cleaning, they would need replacing..

I recently did the Pi intake swap and have been having problems ever since.
My probs started witha lopy idle... should of fixed that right away. Now the car is misfiring and a clunking transmission. Hope i helped a litte. Looking for answers too.

I had the same problem kinda...mine would hesitate when in 5th gear and sometimes 4th when im going down the road when i just hold the pedal steady....and sometimes when I smashed the pedal it was like bog for a second and then take off....but ever since I cleaned my mac air-filter and changed my fuel filter (it looked like mud was coming out of it when I poored the fuel out of the filter, and I use 89 octane all the time) it hasn't done it yet. :::knock on wood::