Mustang ii 2.3L 4 speed manual flywheel

Hello everyone,
I was hoping to get some advice and be pointed in the right direction. I’m in need of flywheel, my stock flywheel has a chipped tooth. And I’ve been scouring the webs looking for the right one. I have a 1975 2.3L 4 Cyl mustang ii 4 speed trans. A picture is attached to this thread showing the stock flywheel, I haven’t been able to find one with the same thickness. Stock one has 132 teeth. I do not know the exact dimensions cause I don’t really know how to accurately measure a flywheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Sponsors (?)

I can't see the clutch surface, is it cracked or blue, can it be turned?
Rockauto has a 2.3L ring gears so that is a possibility.
But is this flywheel worth a re-ring?

I just don’t see many other options, I gotta keep this motor and trans going till one or the other gives out, I’m eventually anticipating a swap of some kind. But nah no cracks, I believe I can get it resurfaced.

How badly is it chipped? It is possible that you could take it to a machine shop and they could flip the gear. That would only cost you labor and get you through til you get around to whatever swap you're looking to do. Otherwise I don't think the thickness is as big a deal as long as the transmission input shaft has sufficient contact with the clutch splines. The input shaft pilot should engage a bearing surface at the crankshaft anyhow, so that part shouldn't be a problem. So, if anything from a later model 2.3 manual car has the same diameter and number of teeth on the ring gear I wouldn't think there would be any reason to not use one.

Oh, except if there are balance changes between years of the 2.3 like there are the 302/5.0. In that case, you'd have to be sure to either get one with the same imbalance OR have a new one rebalanced to match your engine.

You see I have a brand new skinny one currently in there but the clutch fork/pedal won’t return, there’s no pressure. I have a new cable in too. Thats why I came to the conclusion that it does have something to do with the thickness. Cause before it worked fine, the clutch pedal returned and everything. The new one connected to the splines perfectly it also has the correct number of teeth.

You see I have a brand new skinny one currently in there but the clutch fork/pedal won’t return, there’s no pressure. I have a new cable in too. Thats why I came to the conclusion that it does have something to do with the thickness. Cause before it worked fine, the clutch pedal returned and everything. The new one connected to the splines perfectly it also has the correct number of teeth.

Didn't think of that end of it, that makes sense. An easy/cheap fix could be a different throw out bearing if there is one that could make up the difference. Otherwise as was already stated, either have the stock gear flipped or replaced and you'd probably be in business.

Reactions: 1 user