Mustang Ii / Ranger Tranny

MCM Tees

Oct 11, 2017
I want to convert my 74 Mustang II from an automatic to a manual. Only problem is the cars engine was replaced with an 83 ranger 2.8V6. I prefer a 5 speed but will settle for a 4 speed. Does anyone have any suggestions i.e. transmission numbers that will fit the block?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can come up with a stock II bell, I think a T5 would be a fairly easy swap. It would probably need all of the updates/modifications that installing one behind a 302 would and should work with a stock clutch setup (If you're still able to get them for the V6?). Another option might be getting a bell from a 4.0/T5 combo out of a later model Mustang. To the best of my knowledge they are the same engine architecture, but I can't say for certain if the bell housing bolt patterns are the same. I don't know of any other manual transmissions that swap in as easily, I've only done the T5 in my Cobra....

Not sure why the 83 ranger 2.8 is a problem? It's the same engine that the II used. If you want a bolt-in swap, then the rad4 used in the II will work just fine. You'll need the bell and the transmission (of course everything else like flywheel, clutch pedal assembly, etc.) and possibly a different starter and the manual driveshaft / yoke. You can still get clutch assemblies for the v6 II.

There was a good write-up somewhere about fitting a t5 - in general you use the rad4 bellhousing, the center hole needed to be machined out a little bit, and a pilot-bearing extension-sleeve was required. I have no recollection what was done for the clutch.

Here's a good old post with some good information in it: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cologne-2-8-v6-to-t5-wc-transmission.538043/