Mustang newbie buying a 94 GT...Any Suggestions??

vp6799

Aug 15, 2006
Massachusetts
This is my first stang. My buddy has brought me over...LOL:nice: I am about to purchase a 1994 Stang GT. It's black, with the 5.0L V8 and an auto tranny. I do plan on swapping over to a stick in the near future.

Does any one have any suggestions for me???

Thanks
Vic

• Sponsors (?)

HISSIN50 said:
Welcome and congrats!

What are your goals?

This might sound boldly retarded to some people..LOL But I want to keep it a reliable everyday driver, with a nice set of balls.

Although it does need some minor cosmetic work. I do want it to look good. I'm thinking of a new paint job, since it needs little bodywork. While it's going to get painted, I was thinking about throwing on a cobra front bumper and fogs. I was also thinking about a new hood.

It is an auto tranny. I don't like that at all.:nonono: I want to swap to a stick. Just have to find some info on standard tranny's, as to which ones would be better.

As of now, those are pretty much my goals. I will bet that they will change as the progress goes....LOL But I guess they change for mostly everyone.:hail2:

Vic

I hear that. Gears (if you dont have them yet) are always a good thing to do - real SOTP difference and doesnt really hurt anything too much to do them).

If you're gonna keep the auto for a bit (they can be kinda fun with gears and a shift kit, J-mod, etc), you'll really want gears. And a trans cooler is a good idea.

That stuff isnt too $$ for while you're spending time and cash on aesthetics.

Post up some pics when you can :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
I hear that. Gears (if you dont have them yet) are always a good thing to do - real SOTP difference and doesnt really hurt anything too much to do them).

If you're gonna keep the auto for a bit (they can be kinda fun with gears and a shift kit, J-mod, etc), you'll really want gears. And a trans cooler is a good idea.

That stuff isnt too $$ for while you're spending time and cash on aesthetics.

Post up some pics when you can :nice:
I haven't got it yet. I am supposed to finalize everything on wednesday.

The guy said that the car already has a shift kit of some sort in it?? He doesn't know what kind it is. When he bought the car, the original owner said that it got installed by a tranny shop and he forgot to ask for the paperwork and info on the kit before he left. My buddy has had some sick stangs that he builds himself. He told me that something just isn't right with the kit??

When the current owner bought it from the original owner, he took it to a tranny shop to check it out. If you put it in drive, it actually starts of in 3rd gear. You have to use the numbered 1 and 2 gears to start, then switch into drive, then after cruising into overdrive??

I really don't care about it, because I want a stick. But it does seem weird?? My buddy said it might just be a misplaced spring or something easy.

Vic

vp6799 said:
I haven't got it yet. I am supposed to finalize everything on wednesday.

The guy said that the car already has a shift kit of some sort in it?? He doesn't know what kind it is. When he bought the car, the original owner said that it got installed by a tranny shop and he forgot to ask for the paperwork and info on the kit before he left. My buddy has had some sick stangs that he builds himself. He told me that something just isn't right with the kit??

When the current owner bought it from the original owner, he took it to a tranny shop to check it out. If you put it in drive, it actually starts of in 3rd gear. You have to use the numbered 1 and 2 gears to start, then switch into drive, then after cruising into overdrive??

I really don't care about it, because I want a stick. But it does seem weird?? My buddy said it might just be a misplaced spring or something easy.

Vic

Sounds like the trans is on it's way out... I'd keep a very close eye on that.

Other than that, welcome to stangnet :)

i put a shift kit in my old mustang and 2-3 months later it blew. wouldn't shift into overdrive then it wouldn't shift into 3rd. replaced it with a stock t-5. That's your best bet if you don't plan on putting crazy power to it. Alot of companies out there sell swap kits that come with everything. my advice would be go that route

I'll have to send it to a tranny shop when I get it just to check it out. I at least want to be able to drive it without any worry's until I get a stick to swap in.

Thanks for the welcome. Seems like this site has alot of info. I'll have to spend some time and start reading around.

Vic

I picked it up the other day and am happy with it. I got it reall cheap, so I couldn't pass it up.

It will be staying with the auto tranny for a while. I took it for a ride along with my buddy. He knows alot about stangs. He's got an 88 notch with a 351 cleavland that he fully built himself, and then he added a turbo that he took off of a freightliner truck. The car is sick!!!!

Anyway, so we finally got to drive it without the seller being around. He told me that he was just playing with the status of the tranny. He didn't want to see me slip with telling the kid that there actually is nothing wrong with the tranny. It shifts normal, and goes through all the gears when in drive. It's because of the shift kit, that the car feels like it's going to stall. The kit is designed to hold each gear to it's last possible second before shifting. So in return, it does the same thing while downshifting.

I will try and get some pics of it up in a couple of days.

vic