Mustang not turning on?! 94 mustang gt

thestang16

May 25, 2011
Illinois
So lately my mustang has just been sitting around because it doesnt want to turn on..i charged the battery and it says the alternator is good..although i think the alternator is bad because everytime i would turn on the car before i could see that the battery was getting lower and lower in charge..everytime i turn the key it does nothing..doesnt make a clicking sound or turn over..the radio comes on..thats about it..wth is going on?
any help will be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

What is the voltage while the car is idling? It should be above 12.6V (it really should be about a volt higher, but variables like idle setting, load, pulleys, etc can affect this).

If the battery is changed, the car should crank. Does it? Have you had the battery and alt bench tested?

idk what voltage it was running at but when i charged it it said it was at 13.7? i wanna say....could it maybe be the the spark plugs? maybe too much oil and its getting on the spark plugs? if i change the alternator would that even do anything? or should i look more into the starter instead?:shrug:

What is the battery voltage?

If you charge it or put a jumper battery on it, does it turn over?

Do the headlights turn on and stay on at full luminescence for 30+ seconds? We're trying to figure out if it's a battery issue or an interlock issue.

the weirdest thing just happend..i went to go see if the headlights stay on longer than 30 seconds and it turns out it does..without dimming but what was weird was that i went and turned the key and it actually cranked and turned over.. i havent checked if it will turn on again but yea

So what's it doing now? If you're having issues with getting it to crank (whir whir whir) sometimes, I would clean the battery connections. Once you can get it to crank every time, then diagnose the issue with it not catching.

I changed the alternator and the starter and I even changed the oil while I was down there and I charged it also..and it didn't start on..this time the ac and radio came on ..so then I remembered I could push start it and it came on..it ran great I drove it around town and everything ..then I turned it off to see if it would come back on..and it didn't..the car doesn't make that whirr whirr noise..so idk what it is..im going crazy

Is 12V reaching the starter relay in the underhood fusebox? The interlock switch for the transmission is the first place I'd look.

it looks like the person that owned the mustang before me crossed the wires to where you dont have to press in the clutch in for it to turn on..so idk if that could be it..im thinking now that it could have been something you mentioned before..the timing?

could sea foam be the cause of this? i used some like 2-3 days before the car wouldnt start up..i read that it could mess up the spark plugs ig?:shrug:
Right now i have it at my buddies dads house and he said theres alot of electrical problems and hes wiring everything correctly ..so maybe that will be a part of it?

could sea foam be the cause of this? i used some like 2-3 days before the car wouldnt start up..i read that it could mess up the spark plugs ig?:shrug:
Right now i have it at my buddies dads house and he said theres alot of electrical problems and hes wiring everything correctly ..so maybe that will be a part of it?

If you can push start the car and it runs fine, then it CANNOT be an issue with the engine's ignition system as it has nothing to do with cranking the engine over. If seafoam messed up the engine/spark plugs then you wouldn't even be able to push start it.

And yes, it sounds like an amateur had their way with your car's wiring and fixing those problems should be at the top of your to do list.