Mustang Rocker Arm / Valve Tap

Joey8193

Mar 13, 2017
hello everyone I believe I have a vavle tapir stuck lift in my car.. at first I thought it was an exhaust leak and replaced the headers and gaskets.. still makes the sound when cold then goes away one it warms up. Any suggestions ?

• Sponsors (?)

If you pull the valve covers and find the original stamped steel rockers under there (not adjustable) they still might be your problem. My car sat a long while years ago and I'm quite certain one that was open while it sat bent. It was extremely sloppy. A new set of 1.7 rollers did the trick without any shims. I also replaced my header gaskets a few times chasing it.

I don't understand, why not try to fix it?
Don't want to sound like an ass, but yes you can use thicker oil and when it starts to tap again go thicker and after a while you'll be using gear lube to keep it quiet, all the while making a potentially small problem into a major repair.
Pull the valve covers off, pull the spark plugs out, rotate the engine checking rocker arms when their respective valves are closed to see if any are loose.

Yeah something's wrong, you'll need to pull the valve covers to figure out what it is. You can use a piece of heater hose held up to your ear to listen on the valve-cover to give you a general idea of where the problem lies. That sound (and the length of time it happens) is not likely just a worn lifter where some heavier oil will help. That's a bad lifter, a worn rocker, a worn pushrod, a broken spring, a chewed up valve, or something equally troublesome. Brighter side none of those are too difficult to fix. Pull those covers.

Ok thanks one more question .. it's not the original engine I was told it's a Windsor 302 bored 40 over to a 308 has lunati 512 cam and svo aluminum heads.. and idea what size rocker arms I would need or can/should buy

I'm not at all sure what ratio would clear with your cam, heads, and pistons. It's probably safe to use whatever you have. If it's the original stamped steel rockers they're 1.6. If they're some aftermarket roller rockers check the part number on those.

I worked on a 3.0 Ranger last year that sounded similar. The roller on the lifter had frozen and the guy continued to drive it for a week like that. The roller and cam lobe wiped themselves away and a lot of metal went through the engine and killed the bearings. I measured 7lbs of oil pressure at idle once the engine warmed up

STOP driving it and pull the valve covers. You will find a loose rocker and then you can go from there. The lifter will probably need replacing of its not too late. Remember to change the oil when you are done.

Joe

Thought I'd give everyone an update I haven't drove my car in about 2 weeks .. I just went to move it out of my garage.. started up and no tick or tap.. nothing.. I don't get it .. im still going to change the lifters and rocker arms just thought I'd fill you in on the ghost in my engine