Mustang steve cobra brake mounting plates

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
Any body got prints, or dimensions for these brackets for a 67 mustang. He doesn't sell them in steel, i already asked. I would feel more comfortable using steel brackets. If you have a print or dimensions, i can just machine one out myself. thanks. Also, anybody running 18 x 9's up front on a 67, if u do, let me know how it fits and pics would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Why not just buy a set and copy them yourself? I am sure you could sell them once you are done. Mine are bolted up and I aint taking it apart to measure for you, besides that's kind of like copyright infringement isn't it?

There are pics of the braket here if you want to try a clay-build-up though.

jae902 said:
Any body got prints, or dimensions for these brackets for a 67 mustang. He doesn't sell them in steel, i already asked. I would feel more comfortable using steel brackets. If you have a print or dimensions, i can just machine one out myself. thanks. Also, anybody running 18 x 9's up front on a 67, if u do, let me know how it fits and pics would be great.
NOT COOL! :notnice: :nono: Ever heard of copyright infringement? I think design specs fall under the same heading. You could probably get away with it legally (then again, maybe not), but I think it's morally equivalent to the same thing as theft. MustangSteve did the R&D (or paid someone for it) to design and manufacture those brackets. At least be respectful of the work and money MustangSteve has put into his product.

If he doesn't sell 'em in steel, try doing the R&D yourself to make a set. If you've got the skills to do the machining yourself, you've got the skill to do the R&D too. Or even better, have you asked MustangSteve if he'll provide/sell you the specs/measurements on 'em? I think that would be very cool for folks who want to make our own versions to save a bit.

Just remember, MustangSteve is one of us... a hobby guy just doing a bit here and there. He's not a huge company like TCP, Baer, SSBC, etc. He probably makes a little on each set, but I think it's better to support a guy like MustangSteve who provides enthusiasts with reasonably priced alternatives to the big companies products. Support the guy, don't undermine him.

I put a question mark in my comments because the term "copyright infringement" is a legal term and does not apply unless the object in question is actually copyrighted, we are not talking patent law here. I do not intend to give an opinion as to the legal ramifications if any, but to the general morality of stealing someone's work. In my book if you buy a set of his brackets they become yours and anything you do with them or to them is your business, and Steve gets a cut to reimburse him for his work and initiative. If you reverse engineer them and make a set of steel ones for yourself then I see no harm or foul, but don't plan on selling your own kit unless you change more than the material.

Edbert said:
I put a question mark in my comments because the term "copyright infringement" is a legal term and does not apply unless the object in question is actually copyrighted, we are not talking patent law here. I do not intend to give an opinion as to the legal ramifications if any, but to the general morality of stealing someone's work. In my book if you buy a set of his brackets they become yours and anything you do with them or to them is your business, and Steve gets a cut to reimburse him for his work and initiative. If you reverse engineer them and make a set of steel ones for yourself then I see no harm or foul, but don't plan on selling your own kit unless you change more than the material.
No need to CYA... I think both of us are just suggesting that there may be legal rammifications to requesting, publishing, or using someone else's design (which may be copyrighted or patented). Patent law is a mess by all accounts, but copyright law is well researched and tried. Just ask the entertainment industry.

I would purchase the set if it was made in steel. If i design my own bracket to fit the brakes on, isn't that stealing his idea anyways. I can just take measurements and draw up some prints, but just thought maybe someone already did this. Doesn't have to be like steves, can be any one else that fabbed up some brackets. WOuld just save me some time for other stuff, thats all. So no worries, i will just make my own brackets. And i definitely didn't want to offend anyone. THanks for the help, by the way, anyone with 18X9's up front on 67, still would like to see a pic.

jae902 said:
If i design my own bracket to fit the brakes on, isn't that stealing his idea anyways.
I don't think that is the same at all... and legally, it is very difficult to copyright or patent "ideas", though it may be possible under intellectual property rights law (something I need to learn more about for my own professional activities). Anyway, I totally believe in the freedom of ideas and the free flow of information. In fact, I'm all for using other folks' designs as inspiration and departure points for your own development. That said, directly copying someone elses work without comp'ing them for it seems wrong.

Now, all that said, if you design your own brackets and come up with specs, I'm all for you sharing 'em with others. In fact, post 'em here when you get 'em done. :nice: