Mustang Steve's Clutch Cable Kit question.

• Sponsors (?)

I will most likely be buying and installing his clutch cable conversion within the next month. I have heard that you do not need to use the assist spring when converting to either a hydraulic or cable clutch. Do you already have Mustang Steve's cable clutch conversion? If you do, what do you think of it?

I have the kit but have not yet installed it. Yes you have to retain the return spring (as with all cable kits I have seen). This is a high quality kit. I like it because it uses the standard adjustable cable that is used with all Fox bodies with a T-5 so replacement will be easy. I also like the fact that it pulls the cable with a constant radius, unlike the single lever type - keeps cable pulling straight from cable housing.

-Chuck

Alright, I think that I'm a little bit confused. Is it an assist spring (helps push down the clutch pedal) or a return spring (helps pull the pedal back up)? I seem to remember that when I unhooked the linkage that the spring pulled the pedal to the floor meaning that it is a assist spring. I'm pretty sure I've heard of people running without the spring because of switching to a diaphragm clutch which requires less effort. Someone please straighten this out.

The assist spring does help you push the clutch pedal to the floor. It pulled your pedal after you had pushed about 1/4 to 1/2 the way down, and then slammed it to the floor. I think diaphragm clutch requires less force, but I am not sure. I want a pretty stiff clutch here, but after lossing the assist spring, then going to the stage two clutch; I'm afraid that it might be too stiff. I don't see why it would be bad to use the spring, as it doesn't start to really apply force until that 1/4 to 1/2 mark, but I haven't seen a system on a Mustang yet that had the spring in. Does anyone know for sure?

-Shaun

66P51GT said:
Mustang Steve was very responsive to all of my questions. I'm sure he will be able to answer whatever concerns you.

I have bought the ron morris kit and sent it back as fast as I opened it. The Mustang steve is the best kit on the market IMOP... Two things you will find helpful. One is use a 95 mustang cable as it is longer and will go in front of headers then under. Two, When using a hammer to push up bottom of vent cowl to clear, I used a air hammer. Much easier.

Himark said:
I have bought the ron morris kit and sent it back as fast as I opened it. The Mustang steve is the best kit on the market IMOP... Two things you will find helpful. One is use a 95 mustang cable as it is longer and will go in front of headers then under. Two, When using a hammer to push up bottom of vent cowl to clear, I used a air hammer. Much easier.

i also used the mustang steve set up ..yes the air hammer works great with a blunt tip..if your careful you will not break through the cowl..i eliminated the return spring..