Mustang still handles like an Ox Cart after many upgrades, why?

fatboyq

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2000
got a 88GT so far i have installed eibach pro kit, steeda strut tower brace, 2 point lower brace, full lenght subframe connecters 4pt, upper and lower control arms, welded torque boxes etc.. replaced wheel bearings, and bushing in the front with polyurethne bushings. the steering has some play in it when you move the wheel it moves a little first before the car moves and makes a humming noise when doing so, i replaced the power steering pump already. what can i do next to make it handle????

• Sponsors (?)

You'd notice a big difference with a panhard bar, MM makes one that fits with full exhuast. Coil overs would help as well.
The steering slop is due to the rack, a solid steering shaft may help a tad, but there will still be play. Flaming river makes a power steering rack that is supposed to get rid of it, it's on my upgrade list.

I got some no name struts and shocks on ther now. I want the tokikos for 270 for the set of 4 and see if it will help. I got pony on there with continental conti sport as tires 225/50/16. I know they suck I want nitto 555 in back with some kuhmo escta up front.

fatboyq said:
got a 88GT so far i have installed eibach pro kit, steeda strut tower brace, 2 point lower brace, full lenght subframe connecters 4pt, upper and lower control arms, welded torque boxes etc.. replaced wheel bearings, and bushing in the front with polyurethne bushings. the steering has some play in it when you move the wheel it moves a little first before the car moves and makes a humming noise when doing so, i replaced the power steering pump already. what can i do next to make it handle????

Well,
It could be your steering rack is shot. How many miles are on it?
Check your steering shaft, That is the piece between the firewall and steering rack. The bushing could be shot and give you that play in the steering wheel. As for the other parts, you are doing a good job of up-grading your suspension on a 16-year-old car. But I think you are missing a few key parts.
One for starters is you need a set of caster/camber plates. That will allow you or the suspension tuner to dial in more camber and caster than factory settings.
What did you do for new shocks and struts on your car?
After you installed the springs, did you have the car re-aligned?
What about the ball joints and bushings on the A-arms?

Rob

fatboyq said:
I got some no name struts and shocks on ther now. I want the tokikos for 270 for the set of 4 and see if it will help. I got pony on there with continental conti sport as tires 225/50/16. I know they suck I want nitto 555 in back with some kuhmo escta up front.
These are the most important parts you've left out. The shock absorbers job is to keep the tires planted to the road. If you don't have good ones, they won't. If you don't have good tires, it doesn't matter what else you do.
Everybody pretty much covered the steering issues/fixes already; I'll second the vote for a panhard. A GT witha fresh stock suspension and panhard can outhandle your average spring/shock modified car. The lack of positive location of our rear axle is one of the main problems with the fox suspension. If you have a GT you don't need a stiffer anti-sway bar yet, there are more important things to do first- like the shocks, c/c plates and panhard. Not to mention tires! If money is an issue, I've had good luck with Nitto 450's. V rated, cheaper than the 555's, wear better, last longer, better in the rain. Best, you can get them in a 16". I think last time I paid $350 for all four.

T_5.0_N'works said:
DO not get Kumho Supra Ecsta's up front, you will regret it,

Why not? I have them all around on my car. Very good tire for $100 for 235/45/17's. I am very spirted in my driving so i put these tires through their paces all the time. I would buy em again.

They are excellent in the rain. Of course we drive Mustangs so they will always spin tires in the rain, but i am not afraid to drive "spirited" on wet roads with them. They rank right up there with my Pirelli P7000's in wet performance but are about $90 a tire cheaper. I used to fear driving in the rain. Now it's no big deal.

Just don't drive in any accumulated snow with them. They don't work in snow at all

No car will handle well if the driver is not smooth with the wheel.I'm not sayin you crank on the wheel like its a 18 wheeler but try drivin smoother not fast abrupt turns but slow and calculated ones.A loose wheel could be the tie rod ends(very cheap).