Mustang Timing. Where should it be set at?

Manewaymja2

Feb 11, 2009
Hi there guys, had asked this a bit back but never got a answer. I have a 1987 Ford Mustang Gt 5.0 302 V8 that i blow Nitrous through. The Timing is set at 10 degrees with the spout conector in place. I pull 4 degrees of timing when sprayinmg the 100 shot and use one stage colder plugs.

My question is, where should my timing be set at and should i run with the spout out or in? and when spraying say 150 shot with a mix of 50 / 50 116 cotane Nitrous race fuel and pump gas how much degrees should i retard?
all and any advice is appreciated
Help Please trying to fine tune a bit before a event thats coming up. Thanks Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Most will agree, every motor is a bit different, i for example, spray a 125 shot and have my timing at 10 base, have no problems, but off the spray I was running at 14*. not sure what your motor set up is or why your running race gas but I'd say back it up 4* and try it, it's just gonna be a matter of testing it out a bit

Reactions: 1 user
14 degress is what your recomending as a starting point? The Race Fuel was just an insurance in hopes of keeping the motor from knocking etc. The Motor is Stock Block and Heads, Cam etc, just Under drive pullies Cold air intake, MSD Distributor, Mallory Coil, Shorty Headers and the Cold Fusion Nitrous Kit good for 200 Shot (No Fogger Plate). Thats about it.

I think what he's saying is that if you're running 10* BTDC when you're NOT spraying and you're PULLING (as in retarding the advance) 4* of timing out from that when you do spray (thus meaning you're running at only 6* BTDC ... which would make the car run poorly, I would think), maybe you should try just running 10* when you DO spray and 14* when you're NOT spraying. :shrug:

Some engines (like mine) will get ping at 14* on a stock setup with 87 or 89 octane, so I would hate to think what might happen if you run 14* BTDC and get a bit of detonation when you're adding nitrous to the mix. :eek:

FWIW, you don't need to run race gas just to run nitrous. If you're worried about ping, you should be able to get by just fine on 91 octane, as long as you don't get too aggressive with your timing advance.

"14 degress is what your recomending as a starting point? The Race Fuel was just an insurance in hopes of keeping the motor from knocking etc. The Motor is Stock Block and Heads, Cam etc, just Under drive pullies Cold air intake, MSD Distributor, Mallory Coil, Shorty Headers and the Cold Fusion Nitrous Kit good for 200 Shot (No Fogger Plate). Thats about it."

No I said BACK it up 4*. You don't Need the race gas, your not running a high comp motor, 92+ oct. Is fine. As the instructions tell you

When spraying, they say RETARD the timing 4* for the 125 shot. That is a safety procaution and you can get away with RETARDING the timing about 2*, or in my case leaving it at 10*.

If you decide to leave the timing set at base (10*) then there is no need to ADVANCE it to 14* when not spraying, it's unnessisary...

Hope that's a little more clear

If you are running race gas then you can keep the timing advanced. However you can run regular gas and back the timing down a little. A little knock and ping go a long way with a power adder.

Ok Think i will leave it at 10* and see what happens with no retard. But I also need to know if i should take out the spout or leave it in. If i leave it in i think the computer will advance and retard the motor by way of the computer (not sure):shrug:. So im wondering if i should take it out to lock the timing in at 10* when spraying.