mustang vs camaro

anyone heard this story?

In 1967 chevy came out with the camaro and in a press conference a reporter asked what "camaro" means. Chevy replied "it means friend in spanish". The next day following ford came out to give there statement about the camaro. They said that camaro means "small shrimp like creature" in french. :rlaugh: can't argue with the big blue oval :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

incorrect sir.

The 'camaro' is derived from the french word Comrade.

The MYTH is that 'camaro' is in reference to a SPANISH word spelled 'camero' (I think) which means a small shrimp.

Just a bunch of advertising and marketing hooplah.

The nova was marketed oversea's, specifically in china, however when you translate "nova" into mandarin (I believe), it means "no go". I dont think it really sold well over there.

I like the small shrimp creature, I'll have to remember that :)

jadesville said:
The nova was marketed oversea's, specifically in china, however when you translate "nova" into mandarin (I believe), it means "no go". I dont think it really sold well over there.

Partially correct.

"no va" means "no go" in spanish and some other romantic languages. VAR is the verb "to go" in Spanish.

jadesville said:

I've never heard of the Mandarin translation. But in Spanish it equates to no go also. "no" meaning "no" and "va" meaning "go" (sometimes)

allcarfan said:
Partially correct.

"no va" means "no go" in spanish and some other romantic languages. VAR is the verb "to go" in Spanish.
I dont know spanish well, I just remember what I was told in my HS mandarin class, before I stopped paying attention, like the second day or something.

I didnt know that either though, GM has some awesome marketing skills :D

Red Barchetta said:
Sorry, that's a marketing urban legend.

Snopes is your friend.

And snopes, does indeed, state that "no va" does translate to 'no go' inSpanish if you translate it word for word.

HOWEVER, in the Spanish language, this would not be used to describe a car that is not functional. In America when something is spicy hot we say...whoa, thats hot. In Spanish, there are many different words to describe the word 'hot' when describing something that we consider spicy.

Am I a linguist? No. Spanish through high school and college...a little. How do I know this?.....I once asked a waitress at a mexican restaurant the proper way to describe their salsa! haha!

allcarfan said:
And snopes, does indeed, state that "no va" does translate to 'no go' inSpanish if you translate it word for word.

HOWEVER, in the Spanish language, this would not be used to describe a car that is not functional. In America when something is spicy hot we say...whoa, thats hot. In Spanish, there are many different words to describe the word 'hot' when describing something that we consider spicy.

Am I a linguist? No. Spanish through high school and college...a little. How do I know this?.....I once asked a waitress at a mexican restaurant the proper way to describe their salsa! haha!

With my limited spanish skills from many years of taking it back in high school, having a fluent best friend who spent a summer travelling latin america and from working with Mexican for many years, I can tell you that No Va would be the incorrect idiom as you stated. "No va." would means something more like "Don't go." or "You're not going." and it would probably more of a question and would probably be formed more like "No vas?" I couldn't tell you the correct phrase for a POS car. El auto reparo comes to mind (litterally "Auto Repair") or the adjective mal which means bad. Now on the other hand, that may very well have been a joke across latin america. Just because it doesn't exactly translate properly for the idiom, just means they wouldn't have picked up on it. (They're spanish speakers, not idiots!) Then again, Nova (I *think*) is a latin rooted word and probably has the same meaning in spanish as in english.

The adjective spicy is "picante" such as "Picante sauce.' :)

Thank God. I had to take French 5 times in college just to get passing grades twice.

Back to the other side.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

56-09_ani.gif

"Pinto" means something offensive in spanish I think; I don't remember what but I remember my spanish teacher in high school telling us the story of how ford found that out after they released it into spanish markets and people got pissed.