Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to reinstall my 19# injectors just to get the engine running. Even though this is temporary, I can’t put dirty crap on my engine. Decided to clean them up a bit.

First took a bit of scotch brite and cleaned the bodies up a bit. My original injectors are uncoated which I think changed in 1989? The reason one is black is because one injector was dead when I brought the car back on the road after 6-7 year back in 2009ish. Drove on 7 cylinder for almost a year. Funny story.
76E98A36-69F0-4A17-B094-289FD0232BCF.jpeg

Decided to clearcoat the bodies to prevent them from flash rusting
481AD5A2-5DBC-4DB6-84B9-239C7CA405EC.jpeg

To flush them, I used a taper plug and drilled a hole for the areosol straw. Press it into the end and attach some carb cleaner. A 9v battery activated the injector. Believe it or not, original 100k injectors were not clogged at all. They sprayed quite well

C14947CD-DF09-4EAD-8970-D1AAC1347ED3.jpeg

Where I stopped for now. Will wait til I have a quiet night to finish these up. Then I can swap them out real quick and pressure test the fuel system

5D9A4A4F-9701-4E71-BFF1-A0EE26F75BBE.jpeg
Hey Mike, I bought one of these cheap injector flush kits years ago and have used it many times. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3536044575...d=link&campid=5335821607&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I hate to say it, but I think I’m done.

E5C1F6A4-C88F-4708-8948-5AD948DCD487.jpeg
EF34F68C-B70A-40E9-B1D3-2BF236A355B6.jpeg

Yes, I still need the cooling and ac lines hooked up, but this engine is ready to start up for the first time! Only thing really left to do is set the distributor rotor correctly. Too tired to do that tonight but I’ll see if I can get to it tomorrow.

• Hell Yeah!
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
You know, I was thinking about that all last night. Maybe I shouldn’t start it without filling the cooling system first. I won’t install the fan, and can use water for now.

I just didn’t want to plumb it all up (and the ac lines) and then find out I have a big problem (hopefully not). I also don’t want to harm the water pump running it dry.

At the same time, I just want to hear it run for 20-30 seconds. Sept 22nd marked 2 years since it last ran.

Reactions: 1 user
You know, I was thinking about that all last night. Maybe I shouldn’t start it without filling the cooling system first. I won’t install the fan, and can use water for now.

I just didn’t want to plumb it all up (and the ac lines) and then find out I have a big problem (hopefully not). I also don’t want to harm the water pump running it dry.

At the same time, I just want to hear it run for 20-30 seconds. Sept 22nd marked 2 years since it last ran.
I get it man, but I'd for sure put the radiator on it and fill with water (distilled).

Putting my radiator and hoses back on. Almost set to fill. Prob just going to use water for now. I know winter is coming but my garage doesn’t go below freezing. I’ll likely drain and refill with proper mix anyway.

Just remembered this. What to do about it?

I don’t want to remove this pipe. I don’t want a repro without it. Previously I just left a stub hose with a bolt in it. Held for 20 years.

Maybe I’ll do the same but leave it a bit longer so I can tuck it. Could come in handy as a way to bleed out air. :shrug:

B1AD452B-1F13-4ACD-BA29-D63912DBFF73.jpeg

Putting my radiator and hoses back on. Almost set to fill. Prob just going to use water for now. I know winter is coming but my garage doesn’t go below freezing. I’ll likely drain and refill with proper mix anyway.

I don’t want to remove this pipe. I don’t want a repro without it. Previously I just left a stub hose with a bolt in it. Held for 20 years.

Maybe I’ll do the same but leave it a bit longer so I can tuck it. Could come in handy as a way to bleed out air. :shrug:

vacuum cap and hose clamp

• Agree
Not sure I'd let straight water sit in the block too long,antifreeze does contain rust inhibitors so a diluted amount may be beneficial.
I've looped a hose from the heater tube to the rear of the lower intake in the past,now I just run the aftermarket heater tube without the barb.

Black vacuum cap and a spring clamp?

Not sure I'd let straight water sit in the block too long,antifreeze does contain rust inhibitors so a diluted amount may be beneficial.
I've looped a hose from the heater tube to the rear of the lower intake in the past,now I just run the aftermarket heater tube without the barb.

It wouldn't sit that long.... I just want to get this engine running. Couple starts, set timing, idle, run codes, make sure everything looks good and then that's it. After that, I'll drain it all out and put in coolant, change the oil, and all that fun stuff i can do while the white stuff is flying.

Really, the two big items left to do after the cooling system is done is install the AC hoses and prep that for a charge, and install and wire up the electric fan. The fan is the one thing i actually am not sure what i'll do just yet. My 94-95 fan worked fine, but i think i want to go for a cleaner look with a contour dual fan, nice overflow bottle and a decent fan controller setup.

Yes, i know i still need to put the fenders, bumpers and hood back on, but that should take a weekend really and I can do that in the early spring.

It wouldn't sit that long.... I just want to get this engine running. Couple starts, set timing, idle, run codes, make sure everything looks good and then that's it. After that, I'll drain it all out and put in coolant, change the oil, and all that fun stuff i can do while the white stuff is flying.

Really, the two big items left to do after the cooling system is done is install the AC hoses and prep that for a charge, and install and wire up the electric fan. The fan is the one thing i actually am not sure what i'll do just yet. My 94-95 fan worked fine, but i think i want to go for a cleaner look with a contour dual fan, nice overflow bottle and a decent fan controller setup.

Yes, i know i still need to put the fenders, bumpers and hood back on, but that should take a weekend really and I can do that in the early spring.
I’d say a cruise around the neighborhood sans hood, fenders, and bumper should be done before that white stuff comes!!

I've seen the black vacuum caps fail on that nipple. One split on me while I was street racing years ago in Baltimore. The guy I was racing followed me to a lot where he helped me fix it with a piece of hose and a bolt. Stayed that way for a very long time.

You could probably use some grease and a tap and cut threads on the inside of that thing. Then you could put some Teflon tape on a short bolt and be done with it. An Allen head would look pretty well hidden there. Finding the right size tap and bolt may be a challenge though.

Status
Not open for further replies.