Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last piece of the puzzle. Had to junp over to the import market to find this part. I wasn’t a fan of some of the offerings from some of the big names, plus they were 2x the cost.

Bought this from Chase Bays, which offers premade 6AN hose kits for vehicles in kit form. Unfortunately all imports or a few LS swap kits. Nice bottle, internally baffled to prevent foaming, along with a special cap designed to not overflow. Mount bracket looks like it will fit where I need it (or I make my own) and they were willing to configure it with a barb fitting on the large port and a 6AN for me.

Now to install this and finish the rest of my lines

Not a fan of non-Ford corporate badging so I’ll likely make a decal to cover the logo.

A215C254-FEDC-4CE5-A86A-86BF60579C52.jpeg
D460CE50-131C-40D8-999C-BB5F17E53AB3.jpeg
87DC2BAE-AD5A-427C-9948-AF2EAE8D7EAD.jpeg
CB32453B-50A0-420D-AC14-CA67228AE4A2.jpeg
CEC31CAF-8531-408E-AA20-C9191510F90D.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems like it would be easy to put about a 30° angle I'm that bracket, chop some off, and Redhill a couple holes. Might be hard to line up the hose to the pump though.

Yeah, I see it now. Whole bracket would have to come forward and over.

Seems like it would be easy to put about a 30° angle I'm that bracket, chop some off, and Redhill a couple holes. Might be hard to line up the hose to the pump though.

Yeah, I see it now. Whole bracket would have to come forward and over.

It’s in a highly visible spot, so whatever I do needs to look pretty.

I have access to a laser cutter and brake. Just a question of if I decide to spend the time to do it.

I agree. I’ll likely add something.

I already have the bracket modeled up and can 3D print test pieces. When the kids go to bed I’ll make some marks and design a new bracket and 3d print a test part.

After, I can laser cut it, bend it in a brake and have it powdercoated.

7EB8A5DE-9528-4374-A514-9259B63B6DB3.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
If a gusset is to uh, ugly (?) Then 'strap' it. An 'old timer' show'd me this a long time ago, cut a piece the same thickness, bend it the same way, then welded to the face, doesn't need to be the same size, a fraction of the height/width will do.
Look at most factory L brackets, they have a 'dent' at the center of the bend like a mini gusset.
But then, I would use a couple sticks and some hose clamps :(

I modified the printed bracket. You can actually brace it against the side of the ac compressor bracket.

Using the lower hole, I think this will work.

Height and angle are perfect. Reason the above pics look like it’s leaning is because I didn’t bolt it down all the way
9D71C0C0-64F6-4A38-8701-7F65AD2EED54.jpeg

E439E84C-64D1-4768-8181-64BF21A03FB7.jpeg
3BC5DADF-542A-46AD-A6A3-AFB88F955757.jpeg
D1A1B63E-0900-4BF0-A6E6-9CCEE4A46EB3.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I modified the printed bracket. You can actually brace it against the side of the ac compressor bracket.

Using the lower hole, I think this will work.

Height and angle are perfect. Reason the above pics look like it’s leaning is because I didn’t bolt it down all the way
9D71C0C0-64F6-4A38-8701-7F65AD2EED54.jpeg

3BC5DADF-542A-46AD-A6A3-AFB88F955757.jpeg
D1A1B63E-0900-4BF0-A6E6-9CCEE4A46EB3.jpeg
Could you perhaps add a sort of dog leg to the bracket that goes to the back of the compressor and attaches to the bolt on the driver's side? I'm thinking something like this:

Never mind the low-quality, 2D rendering. There would of course be some bends/curves required to clear the compressor case. Something like this would give you stability in more than one axis. Would this be too complicated to make with the laser cutter and brake?

I could try something like that, but I could also mig weld in a gusset near the front as well. That would stiffen it up and allow me to get by one bolt.

I have it located by the AC bracket to prevent rotation. A gusset and thick ebough steel should keep it from vibrating too much. But I’ll see if I can incorporate something to that rear bolt somehow too just in case

You guys know me. I’ll likely overengineer something that will work great and then 7 months from now a forum newbie will PM me asking me to build one for them (happens all the time)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The only issue I see is the hose that needs to connect at the bottom. Maybe you could make the bracket like an angle iron shape. Would allow you to turn it 90° so the attachment point is behind the reservoir. Might also help position it so there isn't a " S " bend in the hose. Just a little bend instead of 2. Also, the 90° angle helps add some strength to the bracket.

The only issue I see is the hose that needs to connect at the bottom. Maybe you could make the bracket like an angle iron shape. Would allow you to turn it 90° so the attachment point is behind the reservoir. Might also help position it so there isn't a " S " bend in the hose. Just a little bend instead of 2. Also, the 90° angle helps add some strength to the bracket.

Bending the 16.5mm hose is one of my concerns and I agree in trying to make it straight. Problem is that puts the 6AN connection right over the PS bracket which doesn’t allow the hose to fit cleanly.

There are many problems to work around here. Will take a few prototypes.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you need a logo/emblem on the cap? I'd be tempted to sand back and refinish as is plain black.

Or even engrave some dorky 'P/S FLUID' OEM styled font and paint that in a yellow?

Dunno. Just thinking along your OEM lines but I look how clean you've got it all set up. Shoehorning 'Ford' or something there might look frenetic?

Looking good :cool::nice:

I really think you are obsessing way too much over the equivalent of a flat piece of steel with three holes and a 90* bend at the bottom. :nonono:
That would’ve been in and out of my vise, beat over with a hammer, smoothed with a file, sanded w/an angle grinder, and finished in rattle can satin black.
Lets return to our regularly scheduled program shall we?

I really think you are obsessing way too much over the equivalent of a flat piece of steel with three holes and a 90* bend at the bottom. :nonono:
That would’ve been in and out of my vise, beat over with a hammer, smoothed with a file, sanded w/an angle grinder, and finished in rattle can satin black.
Lets return to our regularly scheduled program shall we?
Obsessing way too much over every little detail is the regularly scheduled program in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.