Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few more lines of code and done. Just need to actually test it with the sensor in boiling water and verify the accuracy. I can tweak a few things to get it spot on in the 180-200 range where I want it the most accurate.

Was a fun project and the kiddo learned a few things
D4738EF2-74A4-46FA-965B-87C76DEA8D52.jpeg

Ignore the values for now. Was just messing around. The fan controller operates on 20-100% PWM. So when duty cycle is at 20% fan speed will really be at 1% (i know it says 5%...ignore it). I’ll tweak these values when I actually input my desired fan speeds at specific coolant temps.

And if you are curious, here's a snip of my coding. I didn't write it 100%. Maybe 50% was "borrowed from the internet" and then i tweaked it a bit here and there to do what I needed it to do. 139 lines total.
1641441268875.png
Very nice coding - need to get into the Anduino stuff

• Sponsors (?)

2 lines installed.

DBAD9B7C-164C-40F8-8227-2509DC64F3B3.jpeg

Ran into a snag on the manifold. Inside the mating portion of the manifold for the line is a half-moon shaped clocking feature. It clocks the line and prevents rotation. My compressor is off an ‘88. My lines have F3ZZ part numbers (1993). Going to assume that at some point Ford removed the clocking feature.

I attempted to remove it from my factory manifold but ended up damaging the sealing face. So I bought a repop off LMR. It doesn’t have the clocking feature. The o-rings they supplied seemed a little thin so I used the o-rings from my rebuild kit.

6BF050AC-B67B-4ABE-A45E-795EB2E9F5D8.jpeg

I guess I didn’t look too closely at the charge port side because it also has the clocking feature. I didn’t see it the first time I looked so I only ordered one manifold. This one is a tad bit bigger so maybe I can get the spring insert out that clocks the ac line. Worth a shot.

0912529B-DE08-4269-9973-9781087872DE.jpeg

I did send LMR a message to see if their manifold has a R12 compatible fitting under the 134a fitting they supply. If anyone knows, let me know.

Can’t install the accumulator line yet as some of the mesh sleeve I ordered got delayed due to this snowstorm. It can either show up today….or my luck Monday. I want to install the sleeve off the car before installing the line.

After that we can pull a vacuum, and charge with a little Nitrogen and check for leaks

Reactions: 1 user
I've removed them also many times. A small screw driver to pry the it towards the center and small needle nose to pull them out.

I tried that method. That’s how I damaged the first one.

Granted my screwdriver wasn’t as small as I’d like. I’ll take it to work tomorrow and see what sort of tools I can use there. I’ll get it out.

I removed it from mine when I redid the AC on my car but immediately put it back. Without it, my tube would rotate up and down fairly easy. With it installed the line is rigid. In my opinion it acts like a strain relief. I notched the tube of the new accumulator to match the original one. It has worked fine for 3 seasons now. The accumulator I used was not motorcraft one. I believe it was a four seasons. Your motorcraft one may fit better.

That did cross my mind as well.

The first line i installed on the other manifold seems to be holding it's position well without the clocking feature. I will have to just try it.

Cutting the line did cross my mind, but i'm more worried about getting metal inside the AC tube and also not cutting it in the correct location. Lets try it without the clocking tab, and if it's an issue i'll put it back.

The Four Seasons one they offer now does seem to have the notch. Not sure i want to shelve the motorcraft part though for aftermarket if i have it available. I likely won't charge with R12 until the summer. My plan was to pull a vaccum and then put 100psi of nitrogen in the system and let it sit until spring/summer and then do my R12 charge. I figure that's enough time for leaks to show up, or any other issues (like a rotating line) to rear it's head

1641837804767.png

Reactions: 1 users
I had my son hold the shop vac close to the tube as I was cutting in order to try and suck in all the shavings. Thanks for letting me know about the updated tubing with the notch, I will keep that in mind the next time I need to change out the accumulator.

Got it out without much fuss. Let’s see if I can get it installed tonight with the line

044C45C4-3968-4935-A690-19173E8E43F4.jpeg

LMR responded that their manifold only has a 1/4” NPT fitting under the 134a adapter, because I’m the only crazy somnafabitch that wants to stay R-12

Would not not be the perfect time to make the swap to 134?

Too late now. System is full of mineral oil so I’m committed.

I’d say yes normally, except I have enough R12 to fill the system 3-4 times. Based on my limited ac knowledge, R12 is more efficient, and a physically larger molecule size thank 134a ( 10x larger) so it shouldn’t be as prone to leaks.

Plus I like the idea of having a functional R12 system. How many of those exist? :shrug:

Fitting installed. Got my wrap for my AC line. I like it, but I need a clean way to finish off the ends. Ordered a few different heat shrinks to put a nice clean seal on the ends. So needless to say I held off on installing this

964B8DC5-D244-4A4D-A937-69471499BC2E.jpeg
FBE9EF57-6EC2-417B-A37C-B46AE4A22865.jpeg

As I wait for stuff to finish my ac work….

I think it hit a high of 9 degrees today. So much salt out there the roads are pure white

E3E6891C-853A-49C9-B5E6-17FC94DFC440.jpeg

Not seen is the dust cloud of salt I kick up behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.