Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I had to toss it on just to see

E32207DC-AB03-40CC-A781-ACD0C33C74C2.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 12 users
Now I need to decide what to do with the throttle body. It's an explorer 65mm. I have it stripped down to the natural finish. Not sure if I should leave it natural? Paint it a contrasting color? Powedercoat it the same color? Or buy a nice polished 65 or 70mm Accufab?

I also need an IAC solution. Are there any aftermarket Ford IAC's that look more eye appealing?

I feel now, I have to make every effort to make sure every component here is nice, and eye appealing.

Hardware time (again). I hop back on my favorite hardware site Mcmaster Carr.

bought some SS studs and ARP SS nuts off mcmaster
B1B34AE4-BEE8-482B-A73E-0EEC1E36CC2E.jpeg

now, the lenghts aren’t perfect, but I bought a die to rethread the ends after I cut a tiny bit off. This is the uncut look with my 3/8” intake spacer installed
98EF2B3B-A8C0-4FC9-8BD6-BC2B8B0CC3F5.jpeg

after trimming and running the thread cutting die down them. Nice flush profile in stainless steel

C5C217F4-25D9-4A66-95BE-B462898FF7BA.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I was looking into buying a BMW 328 5 speed coupe for HPDE. You'd be surprised how cheap those cars are. Found a few stock running cars for less than 2k. Decided not to do it though.
Those are cheap for a reason...

Intake back. I love it. Looks way better in person.

the color is Ironsides II from the Prismatic powders catalog

78BE2596-0028-40A9-ADA2-8F3B174AF39B.jpeg
631AA774-F294-4D06-A90A-C0CFF00ADE73.jpeg
35FB333C-B818-49E2-9006-D2BF695C2710.jpeg
That is scary close to the color I'm going to powdercoat my coil covers for my 4.6. Looks good!

now, the lenghts aren’t perfect, but I bought a die to rethread the ends after I cut a tiny bit off. This is the uncut look with my 3/8” intake spacer installed

after trimming and running the thread cutting die down them. Nice flush profile in stainless steel

Real nice man!
Now to make sure it stays clean!!

Real nice man!
Now to make sure it stays clean!!

It can't get dirty if it stays in the garage forever :)

As I get closer and closer to the point where I can crank this over, the butterflies in my stomach are starting to get nervious with regards to this engine running perfectly, and reliably. I have nightmares about messing something up, not torqueing something, a bit of metal shavings somewhere, etc, and screwing this all up.

I'd like to think I paid enough attention to detail to have taken care of all the risks....I hope

Last edited:

As I get closer and closer to the point where I can crank this over, the butterflies in my stomach are starting to get nervious with regards to this engine running perfectly, and reliably. I have nightmares about messing something up, not torqueing something, a bit of metal shavings somewhere, etc, and screwing this all up.

I'd like to think I paid enough attention to detail to have taken care of all the risks....I hope
I don’t have nearly as much invested, but I feel the exact same way about the gear swap, rear end rebuild I just did. Can’t wait til the day I get it driving again, but continue to imagine something being very wrong! Only time will tell!
Car is looking great man.... can’t wait to see it finished.

I am sure you have been asked already...

can we get a bolt/nut part# list with quantities....

We should make it a sticky so that others can bling out as well.

Problem is I've bought a lot of these in bulk so when I need a nut I just reach into a bag and grab them. I've lot the part numbers along the way unfortunately. It's a bit confusing to look back and try to find the part numbers for the bolts I used in a particular spot. Things like the intake may not be the same for everyone else too unfortunately

Everything is on Mcmaster carr. I do have the part numbers handy for these intake studs.

5/16-18, and need to measure and grab the lenght you need. I trimmed off about 1/2" to make it fit and then ran a thread die down to clean up the threads. I used the 7" and 8" length for my intake. Other intakes might need other lenghts

5/16-18 SS nuts from ARP are part number 90997A800. The entire selection of 12-pt nuts on this page is ARP harware

Here are the 12-point bolts. The ones sold individually are ARP. The ones in a pack of 50 are not.

I know a list would be great, but I just don't have the bandwidth when i'm stealing 5-10 mins here and there just to get in the garage to install something. All i'm doing is googling to find bolt/nut sizes and some trial and error. In fact, the bolt size sticky on the 5.0 tech board is the resource I've been using the most

Reactions: 1 user
When I finished putting everything back together I was so nervous, after all the effort to have it not run correctly would of killed me, I literally would of left it where it sat dreading ever taking it apart again. Luckily it ran fine and I'm sure yours will too.

That looks really sharp! Would this be hardware you used to fasten the upper to the lower manifold?

Cobra intake upper hardware.JPG

Last edited:
That looks really sharp! Would this be hardware you used to fasten the upper to the lower manifold?

Cobra intake upper hardware.JPG

Yes, on the studs and nuts. I had to trim about 1/2" off the long threaded portion of the studs to get the length right.

But for the 2 short bolts, i'm using 1 3/4" long bolts. I test fit a 2 1/4" bolt and it was too long. Even 2" might be too long.

Keep in mind, that's for a Cobra intake with a 3/8" intake spacer. Without the spacer, you'll have to compensate. I also don't know what sizes would work for any other intake without test fittings

I made a thread here since this has been asked a few times

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Painted the 65mm Throttle body. Not sure the color choice is right. I do think I might spring for an Accufab 70mm polished, so I’m hesitant to spend the money to powdercoat this one.

what would you do?
ED5F2626-763A-4391-9C69-44165BE191FC.jpeg

Continuing to work on the wiring. Not much to report.

Are there any performance benefits of going to the 70mm?

I think the polished would look great. I’d personally go that route. If keeping the explorer one I’d match it to the intake.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.