Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Anybody experience the quads rubbing against the main shock when flipped? I too have the MM control arms and should just remove them, but its something about “they’re supposed to be there”.
However I couldn’t care less that all my smog stuff is gone. :shrug:
I guess I should just take them off!
I flipped mine for tire clearance, and no issue with interference with the shocks.

Bill

So your CT still applies. :jester:
Is it enough of a problem to post a picture of the contact areas and shock mounts?
Lol….. yes, I guess it does.
Not really a big issue. I just noticed some of the red paint worn off the main shock. I don’t really hear any noise or anything while driving that is causing a concern either.
Could have been a one time thing, especially with the condition of these roads around here. I won’t even take this car on the Long Island Expressway right now because of how bad it is with potholes everywhere.

Managed to finally beat off the Covid and am feeling much better.

Got around to working on the cluster surround. Got to finally painting it. Here's the other one i have and you see the difference in the colors. the 87-89 "black" interior parts don't really match the 90-93 black interior that well. It's more of a charcoal color.

7E48B9A6-2874-4EA7-B313-0F835C12DB28.jpeg

Here's how the two holes i filled came out. Not as great as I was hoping but i don't think this will stick out

CBCD9224-FDB2-4606-AC7F-9C16D76B2FBA.jpeg

Very nice!

What did you do to clean and prep them before painting? I've never had much luck with getting the paint to adhere to plastic parts. I always used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface. Did you use anything special to clean or prime them first?

Very nice!

What did you do to clean and prep them before painting? I've never had much luck with getting the paint to adhere to plastic parts. I always used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface. Did you use anything special to clean or prime them first?

First step was to scotch brite pad the entire part making sure i got every single square inch of it. That's usually the biggest part of it. Once i get that done, i clean the part with alcohol and then spray. I've had really good luck with it. I'm using the SEM paints.

I wasn't a believe in painted parts until i painted the cupholder console and saw how durable it was. Ever since, i've had no issue with doing it and getting good results.

I was not a believer either till I did all the charcoal outside trim on my Saleen. 12 years later they still look good. I used the SEM cleaner and adhesion promoter though but from watching other people on Youtube and reading other threads there are may ways to dye plastic parts. One thing for sure, you can't go wrong with SEM paint products in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nope, not at all. I wouldn't even consider the SEM paint to really be like a typical spray paint. For one, it lays on differently. It also dries in minutes. You can do several thin coats, have it cover quite well, and have it completely dried in 10 mins.

Not that you want to rush it....

Hardest part is finding the right color that matches what you are doing.

Some more interior back together. You can see there is a slight different in the OEM black on the dash and the newly painted cluster pod. I think it’s ok here as this part can be slightly contrasting. I need to avoid “overpainting” because if I start going crazy I’ll really need to paint everything to get it to match. Part of me things I probably should, but what’s the point of OEM black interior if I’m going to paint over it all anyway? :shrug:

I’m working on the lower “knee panel” as I need to fix one of the mounting studs. Should be able to wrap this up shortly and get the Recaros back in.

00072F1B-2B8E-46D1-B238-1CAE80D6D231.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Nope, not at all. I wouldn't even consider the SEM paint to really be like a typical spray paint. For one, it lays on differently. It also dries in minutes. You can do several thin coats, have it cover quite well, and have it completely dried in 10 mins.

Not that you want to rush it....

Hardest part is finding the right color that matches what you are doing.
Does the SEM lay out in a dimpled/ textured pattern (for lack of better term). The rustoleum trim paint I’ve used laid out flat, and the Dupli Color laid out slightly textured, but dried even less textured. Both worked well for what I used them for, just wondering how they compare to the SEM.

Does the SEM lay out in a dimpled/ textured pattern (for lack of better term). The rustoleum trim paint I’ve used laid out flat, and the Dupli Color laid out slightly textured, but dried even less textured. Both worked well for what I used them for, just wondering how they compare to the SEM.

I've only painted parts with the typical Foxbody interior texture on them. I don't notice it adding any texture so i want to say no. It does not dry textured

Let me go paint a nice flat piece and see what it looks like. It's a pretty thin paint that you should apply in multiple, thin coats for best results.

Reactions: 1 user
The rustoleum I used for my mirrors and door handles laid out nice and flat….. which worked out well.
I used the Dupicolor on my Scott Rod front cover, and there is a very slight texture to it, which worked out pretty nice as well! I’ll try to get a pic that shows it if I can.

Edit:
This is the part right behind the headlight. This photo makes it look more pronounced than it it really is, but a nice feature nonetheless if you need it.
016DDEED-8EFB-495B-9191-AD450C56405E.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.