Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
If, and IF, i take on another project, it's going to be a little bit different. I don't want to talk about it yet, but I have something in mind for next summer.

Therefor no need for piles and piles of Fox stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

Got it on the wall. I might have to reorganize this a bit better one day.

7556D3F8-DA1C-4E3B-BAD6-8323FD85375F.jpeg
It’s half past spoke.

If I was younger, mine would be a 66-67 Corvette convertible, small block 4 speed car ( probably put a TKX in it)........
Of course this is one of the most desirable cars there is.......
IF I could find a " driver " and not an L88 or BB Tri power car, MAYBE it would be Affordable if I sold my youngest child........

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Kit cars....... I think building one would be fun, but then all you have is a kit car when you get done... I think one would get boring after it was done........Kind of like a jet ski......

That’s just it. I was onboard with building one. Had the brochure and the order form. Hooked up with a local owner so I could take a ride in one.

I think for me the excitement was building one, because I just didn’t like how it felt as a complete car. Looks great, but didn’t like the end product. Felt like I would need to keep adding to it and thought I’d never be happy with the end result.

I also at think I’d be happy building them for people, but nobody will want to deal with my 3-year timetable per car.

We will see what I do. It won’t be anytime soon but if I get a plan I might pick up an engine. Who knows, maybe I’ll coyote swap a model T

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 user
Everybody I know has wanted to do a Cobra kit including ME, until you start to add up what it really will cost.. Then you end up with a KIT car with no windows or roof. Not to use my old adage, but I could buy a few year old 911 for the same price.... No brainer there....
The cobra's really are kinda worthless if you want to take a road trip with them......
There are some aluminum body kits, I believe one is from South Africa that are really nice, but again, I could do my 67 C2 for less money...
I am older than most of you.. At 67, I have had 20 or 30 more years than most of you to ponder these things... Not saying I am right all the time......
Only problem is this stuff keeps on getting priced out of sight.... come on recession........

I'm looking at one for my next project. Fully assembled 33 coupe with full fenders, interior, S550 rear, coated tube chassis, and everything installed except engine / trans for 26k. That's with picking it up myself. Even the driveshaft for a t5...no paint though. That's my next car. I'll put my spare drivetrain in it until I swap in a ecoboost 2.3 and A10. I've got more than that in Dusty and it's nowhere near as cool.

I'm looking at one for my next project. Fully assembled 33 coupe with full fenders, interior, S550 rear, coated tube chassis, and everything installed except engine / trans for 26k. That's with picking it up myself. Even the driveshaft for a t5...no paint though. That's my next car. I'll put my spare drivetrain in it until I swap in a ecoboost 2.3 and A10. I've got more than that in Dusty and it's nowhere near as cool.
33's are pretty cool, sounds like what you are getting has a good start.... Is it a steel body or fiberglass?? I NEVER hear anything good about the fiberglass reproductions of these...... Remember paint is going to be expensive.....

What was “wrong” with it?

The rear bushing that holds the mag shaft in place was damaged allowing the mag shaft to contact the needle cup, which spun it and broke the hairspring.

I had a parts 85mph speedo so I stole the spring and bushing from it and installed on this one. Seems to working great now, or at least reading in the ballpark of my other 140mph speedos. (I have 4-5 of them)

Bottom one was the damaged speedo.
BA6C42C6-9697-48BF-B9C2-0F34CAC6B1B0.jpeg

Btw there is a subtle difference betwwwn the standard 140mph and the motorsport/certified 140mph. The standard one has a stop pin while the motorsport doesn’t. You align the needle by pulling the stop pin and pointing the needle at the alignment tick. You’ll see on the motorsport speedo that the alignment tick is 0mph and there is no stop pin. 10mph aligns on both. No idea why ford did it this way.

15C1EA7F-D00B-4F79-9A57-45538C75F1CB.jpeg

I’m gonna borrow a rheostat from work to use a corded drill on, use a handheld tach and spare speedo cable and make sure it’s actually accurate.

If it’s not accurate there’s not much I can do. Believe it or not, calibration of the head involves using two coil to “charge” or “discharge” the magnet in the head, which will drag or grab the needle cup more or less. Obviously I don’t have access to this, so no speedometer calibration video.

Here’s the busted motorsport speedo and a spare 85 head. You can see the broken spring. The part numbers are exactly the same. So really if you had access to the machine you could just calibrate an 85mph unit to 140mph of anything else you wanted as long as you had a face. Pretty sure this is what BBK did when they recalibrated speedometers back in the early 2000s for 140, 170 and 200MPH.
59B14539-8DBD-45CB-9A4E-2A62EF2E4416.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.