Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going rate for these front arms? Figure I don’t need them anymore.

The old F3ZZ-3078-A /F3ZZ-3079-A upgraded front control arms. These had the better bushings and bslljoints and more reinforcement. Would anyone even buy these?

I’ve got maybe 2k miles on them. Put them on back in 2009.

I might squirrel them Away

F4BA7556-33F9-48EC-B350-649677B75615.jpeg

2B42AA0B-3134-4B1A-B271-E63A31E3B74B.jpeg

Sell for $320ish new

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Update on weights:

Stock K-member: 49.5lb
MM k-member: 40.5lb
difference: - 9lb

Stock F3ZZ-3078/79 Control arms : 13lb
MM tubular arms: 7.6lb
difference: -5.4lb per side

Coilover, spring, strut, C/C plates: 16.6lb
Stock spring, strut, strut mount: 22.6lb
Difference -6lb per side

Total weight loss: 31.8lb total

Reactions: 1 user
Update on weights:

Stock K-member: 49.5lb
MM k-member: 40.5lb
difference: - 9lb

Stock F3ZZ-3078/79 Control arms : 13lb
MM tubular arms: 7.6lb
difference: -5.4lb per side

Coilover, spring, strut, C/C plates: 16.6lb
Stock spring, strut, strut mount: 22.6lb
Difference -6lb per side

Total weight loss: 31.8lb total
Your measurements are comparable to what MM states when describing weight savings on their FAQs and Tech Tips page.
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Weight-Myths-about-K-members.aspx

Tip of the day:nice:
The last K-member I installed was a one man show,so to make the job ALOT easier I took apart a 12" tape measure and stapled the tape to a 2x4.

Placing the 2x4 with the tape attached under the plum bobs to take the measurements helped keep things in place without having to have someone hold the tape in place,make marks on the floor,or keep from having to go back and forth to make sure the tape measure hasn't moved.

The MM k-member I ordered 2 months ago just showed up at my door this week so another install is in my immediate future.Fun times.
EDIT: Hanging 4 plum bobs makes the above method even less work.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Welp...I’m on coronavirus lockdown due to a family member being tested tonight. They were in our house 4 days ago.

So 48 hours to get test results, and 3 hours bleaching everything. It’s been a long ass day inside the house with two kids who don’t understand why they can’t go to the local bounce place.

Fortunately I can work from home. Wife’s a teacher and they cancelled school for 6 weeks. My sisters a nurse in Boston and they are in Oh :poo: mode right now.

Needless to say, I’m holding off on buying parts for the moment. Fortunately not much more to buy right now

• Dislike
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Well, needed to distract myself so went in the garage. Started cutting up the “good” frame rail. Stopped at this point.

2B5A7BF1-6B46-4188-9DDD-3FF2C500A6D4.jpeg

D6008086-3DA5-45B5-A89B-78461E3B06A8.jpeg

84663281-8CCA-4C55-B3D0-D7045B89ECCF.jpeg

Looks like the rust occurred from dirt going into the gaps on the top plate, and then getting wet and staying wet. I pressure washed the car a week ago, and inside I found wet dirt/rust still.

Outside frame is solid. Top plate is solid. Inside was mostly solid but I had to cut out to access the rusting bottom/bolt supports. Still can’t get the front one out:

What should I do about the bubbling on the strut tower? It’s solid metal. I figure I just wire wheel it down and grind it smooth. Well see.

Need to do a little more cleaning up and figure out how ill patch in new metal

Reactions: 2 users
What should I do about the bubbling on the strut tower? It’s solid metal. I figure I just wire wheel it down and grind it smooth.
Ideally Mike, use a small sandblaster and clean the rust completely out.

Try a wire wheel, it’ll get most of the crusty crap off.

If you don’t want to try to sandblast, use your wire wheel and then some rust converter.

Welp...I’m on coronavirus lockdown due to a family member being tested tonight. They were in our house 4 days ago.

So 48 hours to get test results, and 3 hours bleaching everything. It’s been a long ass day inside the house with two kids who don’t understand why they can’t go to the local bounce place.

Fortunately I can work from home. Wife’s a teacher and they cancelled school for 6 weeks. My sisters a nurse in Boston and they are in Oh :poo: mode right now.

Needless to say, I’m holding off on buying parts for the moment. Fortunately not much more to buy right now

And they tested positive.

They were in my house the day before being symptomatic. Uh oh.

May need to go get tested now

Status
Not open for further replies.