Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll fit nicely. I just don't want to go through the effort of mounting it to this pad until I fix the studs.

Sway bar should be here next week. That will wrap up rear parts.

Up front I still need:
MM STB
MM c/c plates
MM spec Bilstien struts

And MM SFCs

Still got about 2 months of great driving weather before I install. I'll probably sell off my Mach 1 springs, but the 20 year old tokico blues are probably junk these days

After that, I do want to install some new ACC carpet, but really the only area of the car left to focus on is power plant. I've had my TFS170s sitting on a shelf for two years now. Kinda wish I did the 11Rs

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well this thing is a bit tricky to install. No good way to mark where to drill the holes.

IMG_9141.JPG

So this?

No difference in handling as expected. I can't tell a difference at all.

But, it did quiet down interior rattles in the rear area. Don't get me wrong, the typical fox rattle is there, but they are less intense. Now, was it worth $80? Eh.

A set of 98 Cobra wheels popped up for cheap locally. Well...a set of 3. Price was good so I snagged them.

Need a clean and respray but I've always loved these rims.

IMG_9619.JPG

IMG_9637.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So a little bummed. Found the one rim with tire on it is cracked. So that means my great deal for 3 really turned into a good deal for two.

I am going to restore the other two. Finished degreasing them and about to begin sanding and filling in some of the curb rash. Was debating starting a thread on this process. My Motorcraft Argent paint is in the mail.
IMG_9672.JPG

I am debating tossing the '98 Cobra wheels on. Been hunting for these wheels all summer long. Anyone finds two rims let me know

Edit: separate thread on refinishing the wheels

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/wheel-restoration.905997/#post-9136946

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So...these FB classifieds are killing me.

Guy literally down the street posts a complete set of '04 GT leather seats plus rear amps for $100 as he's moving out and needs them gone. I fly down and buy it all

IMG_9831.JPG

The tilting headrests alone sell for over $100 on eBay. The seat track is also another easy $100 on ebay. So I figure why not. I was mostly interested in the front seats.

So, a few mins of cleaning, and here's what I have to try and resell. The rear seat cleaned up very nicely, so i'll try to flip that and get my money back. I'm also going to sell the Mach 460 amp tray and rear package shelf. No idea what i'll get for that or if I should just pull the amps and speakers and part it out on ebay.

IMG_9843.JPG

Last edited:
So even though I love the halo headrests, I do like the large tilting headrests that came on these seats. I sat in them, and they really do support your head quite well. The tiny headrests do not, and the halos, whlile they look awesome) are nowhere near your head to offer any support

So I may swap these in and try them out.

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So part of my says I should just flip these for a few hundred, but part of me wants to hold onto them and possible explore recovering them with the TMI cobra seat covering and foam. Haven't decided yet.

So for now, i'll clean these up nice and store them. The pass one seems to have some sort of white paint on the bottom I need to clean off. I did take the headrests off to possible install on my seats.

IMG_9837.JPG

Also, I now have a huge appreciation for the seats @25thmustang sold to me years ago. Those seats are brand spanking new in comparison to these. Reason #1 why I couldn't cut them up as donors for an 03 Cobra seat kit. But these...these I can cut up and not feel bad.

Last edited:
Ok they are on. I like them better. Not selling the halos off just yet...

I'm still weighing my options on new seats completely. Undecided as to what I want.

IMG_0142.JPG

Got some more goodies from MM in the mail. Weather is cooling off fast. Still a few more good driving days, but not many left.

At some point I'll top off the gas tank, change the oil and swap the winter roll-around wheels on. Then it's time to rip the suspension apart.

Sell all you have for seats and buy a redone set of Recaros from Kevin. I personally feel like those are the ultimate Fox seat.

I really do want a set of Recaro LS or LX seats. I probably should just do that.

There's s local set for $200 that need to be recovered...hmm

Already made my $$ back on these recent seats I bought by selling the Mach stuff that came with them, so selling off the seats now is pure profit. I've cleaned them up really well and they are in decent shape. Can't sell my seats in car until I have something for me to sit in

Last edited:
Ok, got these cleaned up. Gonna list them locally for sale shortly. What should I ask for them?

Comes with the power track. Rear seat mint, front seats have normal bolster wear. Pass seat has two tears in the seat bottom.

The big headrests are staying in my current seats, so selling these with the small headrests.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

More MM goodies. Open box special I got at a discount. Some small scratches that will now drive my OCD crazy. Grr.

IMG_0210.JPG

All that's left is bumpsteer kit and front struts

Last edited:
$200 later....a set of Recaros!

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

They need a little resto work, but will be a fun little project. He included the VW specific tracks, which I don't need obviously so I'll list on eBay to possibly get some $$$ back

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Nice deal!

You going to recover yourself?

You had a set of TMI covers a while back. I know you returned them because of the color. But how was the quality of the material, stitching etc?

Prob not. Main reason is I can't find covers for them. I can easily find all the parts, trim, clips, foam, etc....but a good variety of coverings is hard to come by. So to get what I want, I'll prob need to hsbe them done as I want the rear seat to match too. Shipping is gonna be a bitch though.

Already started putting together my list of parts. Need some minor things. The plan is to restore them as they are and bolt them in the car and actually make sure I like them and they are solid. Once I know that...then I'll throw the big $$$ at them.

The TMI stuff was nice. I only saw their vinyl but I'd say it was on par or even better than the Ford "leather" seats I currently have. Never saw their leather in person.

I was all set to order the 03/04 cobra kit for the GT seats from TMI until someone on another forum said I'd sit higher. Last thing I wanted as I'm 6'1" and already sitting way too high. Someone said the Recaros were a good 1-2" lower than stock seats...so here I am.

But I liked the TMI stuff. I've seen some of their OEM fox seat products in person and it looks great.

As for how I'll recover the Recaros? Undecided. They will definitely be mostly black, but I'd like to get some color in the car. These kinda look good to me

IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.