Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Finished restoring my t stat. A new motorcraft unit was $80, so I just fixed mine up. Quick sandblast, jb weld to fill some minor pits, sand and paint. Some ARP hardware and done. Mine came tapped from Ford as far as I know. It was on the car when I bought it in 1997 and looked like it was never removed. But I’ve seen other not tapped at all. Strange

4DCF401F-8199-48F2-B8F2-07AE280B53D2.jpeg

Started installing the hoses.

Went with Ford.

Bypass hose
Motorcraft p/n KM-640 (D0OZ-8596-B)

Water punp to tube hose
Motorcraft KH-307 (e6sz-18472-aa)

Out back at the core
Tube to heater core (inlet, larger diameter) with restrictor

No Motorcraft part..oem NOS only
E7SZ-18472-AA

Core to heater tube (outlet, small diameter)
Motorcraft KH-195. (E6LY-19472–CA)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Slow week at work, so I took my stock rail to work and began cleaning it up with scotch brite. A lot of the surface rust cane off.

Might just reuse it. I want to try some rust converter in the heavy areas, but this, plus my kirban might just go back on.

10313DC1-7CBE-4A7B-91DA-71959722541C.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Y'all are making me wonder. Now I'll have to dig out my extra rails and see if there's rust in them!

My stock fox ones are mint inside.

However in googling this, I saw a lot of posts complaining of rust in the fuel rails. Seems like it’s a thing.

Found this on eBay. If you zoom in, looks like some light surface rust in there.

At least now we know the Ford part number

F2ZZ-9F792-A

F6420840-6E32-4763-A471-D01E73353987.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have another question for ya...lol. Do you have a local source that has ARP bolts in stock? Just wonder how you matched up the thermostat housing bolts. I'd like to know the ARP number on those if there is one.

I’m just getting them from McMaster Carr.

If you search “12pt bolts” all of the stainless ones are ARP. Most of the black ones are s well.

So I’m just matching up my hardware on the McMaster site and ordering.

I’m just getting them from McMaster Carr.

If you search “12pt bolts” all of the stainless ones are ARP. Most of the black ones are s well.

So I’m just matching up my hardware on the McMaster site and ordering.
Cool thanks. Btw....you could keep a list of these bolts as you order them and share it... :D

ebay is selling a brand new nos 86-93 fuel rail with regulator for $300 or b/o....the seller is foxmustangrestoration
I can understand wanting to keep everything somewhat original, but that’s nuts.
You could go aftermarket rails, and Cover half the cost of the an lines/fittings for that.

Reactions: 1 user
ebay is selling a brand new nos 86-93 fuel rail with regulator for $300 or b/o....the seller is foxmustangrestoration

Yeah that’s just nuts. I have concerns about a rail that’s been sitting open for years. I asked for photos of inside the injector bungs as they look rusty from the photos.

I’ve cleaned my stock rail up prettt darn good. The inside is clean as a whistle, so I’ll likely just run my original

Yeah that’s just nuts. I have concerns about a rail that’s been sitting open for years. I asked for photos of inside the injector bungs as they look rusty from the photos.

I’ve cleaned my stock rail up prettt darn good. The inside is clean as a whistle, so I’ll likely just run my original
Hey Mustang5l5, I got my 94/95 rail last week, but come to find out the guy sent the wrong one... he had 2 for sale, the one I was suppose to get had a regulator on it (not that I needed that) and both stock cross over lines... the one I got, didn't have the regulator, and the front cross over was replaced with a hose and 2 worm clamps... once I contacted them they said they would send the other one out ASAP... but not getting anything back from them now... I sent another message the other day to see if it was sent and get Tracking #, but no reply... I'm giving it to end of week, and filling complaint with e-bay/paypal and get money back..

I did notice light rusting on the one rail inside the injector holes, so I have plans on getting that cleaned up... (which would involved media blasting, flushing the crap out of it, and then soaking in evaparust).. the outsides are in nice shape though... just a little chrome polish... and should clean up. figure I will just get efi line and efi clamps to replace both cross over lines, if I don't get the other one.

Also, I did hear back from Kirban, they wouldn't send/sell just the lower half... girl said something about they don't assemble them there... so who knows.. but since mine was new and still sealed in package, they offered to exchange it for me for $15.00. I just got the #5018 delivered to me 10min ago as a matter of fact.

Wonder if the seller is the same one I bought from.

I ended up keeping the sn95 rail. After shipping back, it wasn’t worth it. Plus I have no intention of standing in a usps line this time of year.

But starting to look like I’ll kerp my existing lines but change out the crossover tubes.

Wonder if I should clearcoat the rail when done?

Status
Not open for further replies.