Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - PTV and quench

trbkrb

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2001
Houston, TX
Visit site
They look great Mike! I've used that same leather cleaner/conditioner on mine and they've held up well, but now I'll have to get mine worked on eventually. The perforated leather on my seat back split along the stitching, third row from the top! @#$% ! I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago. My windows are tinted, I use my sunshade and I keep the seats conditioned. I must have gotten a bad piece of leather on mine or something.

I need to hit my halos with another coat of dye. I've found it lasts a couple of years and then starts to crack a bit.

• Sponsors(?)

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
Those seats will look awsome Mike :nice:, we sure did get a ton of rain but not as much wind though. I was hanging out in the garage and cleaning some stuff on the stang and the water was flowing down my driveway like a river :D.

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Sounds good Mike, I hope you do get all those white spots out... they bothered me, but I was worried about ruining the seats trying to get them off. I assume they are just some kind of paint... just not sure what.

The seats actually never made it in a car. They were from saleen back in 2001. Saleen used their own seats, takes out the stockers and sells them. I got mine from them, brand new, only sat on from people at Ford or Saleen. I have had them since 2000 or 2001, and did my best to avoid cracks and wrinkles. Tough when you have a car that needs clutch cables done, brake light switches, etc... They should look real good in your car though.

Also when you get the wheel in there, let me know how you did it and how it looks. I want to do it bad, but never found a good site to show how it looks or how to do it. You gonna get the airbag delete cover for the center?

Mustang5L5

This is a big reason why I pulled it out
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Also when you get the wheel in there, let me know how you did it and how it looks. I want to do it bad, but never found a good site to show how it looks or how to do it. You gonna get the airbag delete cover for the center?

I was gonne get the airbag delete, but it doesn't have a Mustang pony on it. It just says Ford. Not a fan of the appearance. I'll keep an eye out for an actual airbag. I just missed one that solf for $75. I just hope there is a way to disable it. I assume with no power though it won't go off.

Right now i'm looking into how to make the horn work. Gotta see how it's done on the SN95 as the wheel didn't come with a clockspring.

808Gt

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Hawaii
Visit site
I was gonne get the airbag delete, but it doesn't have a Mustang pony on it. It just says Ford. Not a fan of the appearance. I'll keep an eye out for an actual airbag. I just missed one that solf for $75. I just hope there is a way to disable it. I assume with no power though it won't go off.

Right now i'm looking into how to make the horn work. Gotta see how it's done on the SN95 as the wheel didn't come with a clockspring.

nice, I have actualy put that ateering wheel in my 87 hatch awhile back.... ill get a pic up to show how it looked :)!! to get the horn to work I just used the fox wires from the speed control etc.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Cool, i'd love to see pics. I have an idea what you are talking about though. Shouldn't be bad

I also need one Fox body seat wiring pigtail. The SNn95 seat has a power lumber plug, but it is not the same as the fox. So if someone has some junk seats they are gonna toss and can snip off one plug from the seat for me and send it my way...i'd appreciate it

808Gt

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Hawaii
Visit site
Mustang5L5 - yeah its not to hard to make all the buttons to work, I got the same seats to and got the power seat tracks n lumbar to work.. would have been good if I had the plug off of a fox seat. a cleaner install :p

but here is the steering wheel, I got the air bag from a focus couldnt find a black one :-(

View attachment 304401

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts

808Gt

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Hawaii
Visit site
I was gonna snag this if I couldn't get a Mustang airbag.

I really want the pony logo on it, but this will do if it's all i can get

1994-2004 UPR Mustang Steering Wheel Air Bag Delete :: Air Bag Delete :: Interior :: 1994-1998 Ford Mustangs :: Ford Mustang Parts :: MCRParts.com | Muscle Car Restoration Parts

You don't have any pics from the side do you? How about underneath the airbag?

hmmm yeah i wanted that one too but chouldnt find it at a junkyard :-/... hmm ill see if I have anymore pics....

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Does anyone have pics of an 87-89 fox column with the wheel removed? I want to see how the clockspring is set up. If it's what i'm hoping it is, this may be very easy.

BTW, i've been bidding on a few airbags on ebay. Tons of fords use the same wheel. it won't have the Mustang logo on it, but better than an empty hole for now

I might try to install the wheel on Sunday....or at least see what I need to mod to get the horn working

trbkrb

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2001
Houston, TX
Visit site
Mike, from what i've seen, the 87-89 wheels do not have a clockspring. Mine has metal spring loaded pins on the column that push against a corresponding disc on the wheel. I've replaced my wheel a couple of times due to the plastic cracking. Of course mine doesn't have cruise, so maybe the cruise ones are different? If they have a clockspring, that would be a good way to make it work. Then I wouldn't have to try and make the 92 column work that I got especially to put the SN95 wheel in my car.

I pulled one of the ponys from a blown airbag, so I might try and create my own airbag delete panel using it as a mold and covering it with vinyl. The pony is what makes the SN95 wheel look right.

Pic of my wheel, got it new for $80 from a friend that sold his Cobra before he replaced it!

Attachments

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Looks like a few of us are working on this sort of project.

I might pull my Fox steering wheel off this weekend then and snap some pics and see what needs to be done. My fox doesn't have cruise control either, so all I need to worry about is the horn. I just need a simply 12V/ground connection somehow. I want to try to keep the 87-89 tilt column though. I just wonder how the wheel will look from the side

Airbags can be found cheap on ebay. But I've found the other Ford airbags for the same wheel are UGLY. The mustang airbag is shaped differently than the other ones and is the only one that looks right to me.

BTW, what do I need to pull the fox steering wheel of? A 3-jaw puller, or a harmonic balancer puller?

PS. Eventually I would like to do an Sn95 dash swap. I just figure with all the other stuff my car needs, it would be too much to do right now. But i'm keeping an eye out for an 2001+ Dark charcoal dash and console. I wanted to do a double din NAV unit as well which is why i wanted the 01+ dash. However, i'm not sure mixing and matching black Fox parts and SN95 dark charcoal stuff would look too good. In the sunlight, the two colors are nothing alike. I could get a nice match if i use a 94-98 midnight black dash, but i hate the early Sn95 dash and consoles

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Found a little info on the Airbag deletes sold by UPR.

They are $90 on their site..which is rediculous. However, i noticed they have a Ford logo on them, so it made me think they were a Ford part.

I found it. Mexican cars apparently had airbag deletes, so Ford has a delete part

F67Z-10043B13-AA

The site i got it from shows it as $28 circa 2004.

But who knows if Ford still sells it or even stocks it.

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Is that an original black carpet? I have the ACC one in mine and like it. Although when me and my friend installed it somehow the passenger side wasnt lined up and theres a nasty gap where the carpet doesnt cover... Annoying, but without buying another carpet I cant do anything about it?

Also I find it funny how close the charcoal seats match the original fox black color. A bit lighter, but not too bad.

trbkrb

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2001
Houston, TX
Visit site
Is that an original black carpet? I have the ACC one in mine and like it. Although when me and my friend installed it somehow the passenger side wasnt lined up and theres a nasty gap where the carpet doesnt cover... Annoying, but without buying another carpet I cant do anything about it?

Also I find it funny how close the charcoal seats match the original fox black color. A bit lighter, but not too bad.
My ACC was the same, a gap right at the kick panel. I ended up reusing some of my original padding to raise the carpet level up a bit, and now it barely makes it to the kick panel.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Yes, it's an original black carpet. I was going to change it when i first put the interior in....but impatient me didn't want to wait :)

It's not bad. I could prob take it out and just clean and shampoo the hell out of it and it would be fine. There aren't any burns or anything on it.

But then i like the look of brank new carpet.

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Yes carpet works miracles in making the car feel better inside.

trbkrb thats exactly where mine was short. Maybe its the carpet and not the install? It annoys me seeing the white metal under there. I think I will try something to get it behind the kick panel.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I might cut back on the interior stuff for now. I need to score another contact disk and plug as well as get an airbag or delete. When i get that stuff in, i'll update my steering wheel thread.

I also have a set of 85-86 GT halo headrests. Unsure if i should dye them dark charcoal or look into having them covered in leather.

Gonna focus on the car now. I think i'm gonna pull the rear end out. I have some things I want to do to it:

Swap 3.73's to either 3.55's or 3.27's
rebuild t-lok
New stainless brake lines
new bushings
POR-15
Install ABS rings on the SN95 axles
Figure out how to get seized diff fill plug out
Install SVO diff cover
Mount 94-95 soft line brackets to axles (right now they are kinda just floating)
Install FMS Aluminum driveshaft

I'd just rather do it on a workbench rather than on my back. Plus i can take my time and do it kinda like what Capri Debris did with his capri :)