Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if the seller is the same one I bought from.

I ended up keeping the sn95 rail. After shipping back, it wasn’t worth it. Plus I have no intention of standing in a usps line this time of year.

But starting to look like I’ll kerp my existing lines but change out the crossover tubes.

Wonder if I should clearcoat the rail when done?
Well I'm for sure not paying to send it back... if they want it back.. they better send a pre-paid label (there fault they sent the wrong one)... which I'm sure they won't want it back will cost almost as much to ship...

• Sponsors (?)

Got some better pics of the $300 NOS rail. It’s not much better than mine and even has surface rust in the same areas. I wasn’t going to buy it anyway, but now I feel less enthusiastic about it

Here’s the progresss of cleaning mine up. I’ll put a little more elbow grease into this but I think this will be satisfactory.

97380BF3-886A-4032-9ACA-CAF6ADD60773.jpeg

Out of sight, so not gonna worry about it too much here
CE2A0F6B-3FBD-4CC0-83A4-5046D42E96AD.jpeg

Clean where it matters most. Internal passages are rust free
5220BDE8-D0C6-4A93-88CE-80C1AF397A8E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I think simple and effective is just to finish polishing, clear coat and move on. Maybe some black loom over the crossover tube.

Most of this rail gets covered up, and I’m not building a show car here. Attention to detail yes, but pristine and perfect it will not be.

Time to get this done, install it and the injectors and move on to next step

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It’s pretty spendy stuff - like $60 a gallon spendy. My buddy does mobile blasting so I was able to use some of his supply.
The cool thing about the stuff is it can be reused multiple times, just put it back in the jug.
EvapoRust? I just got a qt from Amazon for 7.xx - Amazon product ASIN B00GRSOJSSView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRSOJSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a gallon is 21.00 - Amazon product ASIN B00M0TLQ66View: https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2XMPFPFT0S2KO&keywords=evaporust&qid=1577401007&sprefix=evapo%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-4

I figured a qt would be enough to do what I need for the rails...

That’s what I ordered as well.

I actually spent about 45 min at work with a Dremel and wire wheel and really cleaned the rails up. They look really good.

Came home, taped up the ports and shot and clearcoat. Drying right now.

Tomorrow I will install with my 30# injectors.

I ordered some stuff today. Bought my LSx style spring kit and upgraded to tool steel hardware to lighten up the valvetrain a tad.

Pushrods also ordered.

Was going to order valve covers but had a last second change of mind. I’ll paint one original cover black and one gray and toss the explorer intake on and make a decision

Almost done with the motor. I’ll buy a cheap bolt on engine stand and put the engine down and do rear main, flywheel and clutch and bolt the trans on. Then I’ll stuff it in corner of garage and time to change gears to working on the car

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.