Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Soooo, hows that dodad for that wachamacallit come'm along, get it painted yet?
Just put your big boy pants on and go paint something, even if it's the wrong color.
Go buy a car part you don't need, that's what woman do, works for them.
Already did that. Look at my other build thread.:D

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

That just sucks. Sorry Dave. It is always worse when these things happen with friends/family. Random people makes it easier to tell go f themselves and gives you certain legal recourse. Good luck.

Ok, I'm done feeling sorry for myself.

Looking at this from a pure business deal standpoint. I may not have gotten a super deal on this vehicle and drivetrain, but, I am a little committed to it. It's not a total fckin either.

I'll have to take out a loan to pay off my brother.

Though we might bargain a bored and stroked 351 out of him to replace the puny 302. Fact is I would almost guarantee this is on the horizon. So i may have an engine that is already built that I will modify a bit more towards my desires that will give me in the neighborhood of 450+hp than 340. I know a little blue car that might enjoy that!

Just so you understand, he has a built 351 that was b&s'd out to a 409. I'm not sure what heads he has on it. I do know he has a set of AFR 225's sitting in his barn. Would 225's be too large for this engine?

He offered this engine instead of the 302 when I got the red car from him.

Honestly, if the man is wanting to live in some alternate reality on what deals were made, maybe I should also. It's not that hard to play selfish pig back with someone. He and I are from the same parents, maybe there is a little bit of dick head down deep inside that I need to channel too.

Reactions: 2 users
225's would be perfect for that motor. You basically have big block cubic inches to work with so use a good cam/intake and let it eat! And he'll yeah!! Play big boy politics right back with him. I don't know the specifics of your original "deal" but your time/effort/paint costs/money already invested/etc counts for something. It really depends on how much you value the car vs the relationship imo.

225's would be perfect for that motor. You basically have big block cubic inches to work with so use a good cam/intake and let it eat! And he'll yeah!! Play big boy politics right back with him. I don't know the specifics of your original "deal" but your time/effort/paint costs/money already invested/etc counts for something. It really depends on how much you value the car vs the relationship imo.
He has solid lifters in it right now, i'm thinking about switching over to roller. See, the sun is coming out for me metaphorically.

Reactions: 1 users
Been up since 5:45. Keep getting up earlier the older I get lol. I would run a roller. Construction kind of depends on what you want out of the motor. Hyd roller with some good link bar lifters are the best option for a 6500rpm or under situation and mechanical roller if you want to spin it harder. Team it with a good single plane intake like the edelbrock super Vic either way. You'll have plenty of lowend for tire shredding if desired and some deep breathing capabilities.

See, i just needed to think things over a little bit.

BTW, you'll see a little bit of stuff done for Doby this coming week.

Since I believe i'm going to keep the bi*ch. I'm going to go ahead and paint the hatch, spoiler and front bumper.

I also need to repaint the rear bumper and paint the bodyside mouldings. There's also the trim I need to get after.

Then I need to make a trip to the storage unit and take the 302 back to my brother.

Been up since 5:45. Keep getting up earlier the older I get lol. I would run a roller. Construction kind of depends on what you want out of the motor. Hyd roller with some good link bar lifters are the best option for a 6500rpm or under situation and mechanical roller if you want to spin it harder. Team it with a good single plane intake like the edelbrock super Vic either way. You'll have plenty of lowend for tire shredding if desired and some deep breathing capabilities.
I'm watching Jeff's build with his new Holley efi. I'll probably want to head that way with this. I need to find out the details of the engine. Guess i'll send my brother a text this morning.

Ok Steve, here's what I got. A long block 351 that has some sort of intake. I'm not sure what intake, so i don't know if it's being set up for a carb or efi.

I want efi. I will probably need the hardware as well though. I'm thinking everything. Intake, injectors, wiring, fuel system, computer, the whole shibang.

I've sent my brother a request to swap out engines, when he replies I'll start asking details from there about what it has in and on it.

All this means that i'm not against your offer by any means, I just need to figure out what i need to do to get to that point right now.

By the way, this 351 is a 408. Would that probably mean it was just stroked out to a 4" stroke? I mean it just needs to be a stroker to get to 408, right (no boring)?

You have a few options depending on what you want to do.
All options can control fuel and spark, all options can be tuned anyway you want. Hell even a small microsquirt (size of a credit card) can do that 408 just fine.
Do you want full sequential injection? That puts the lower end options out the door.

If it were me..... I would get a ms3 and go full damned tilt. But for a simple fuel injected build up an ms1 will work perfect. Most of us who run the pnp for the stock harness (myself included) actually run the microsquirt it's what controls the ems.

A sweet look would be a efi Victor Sr intake with a 4150 tb on top and an air cleaner, use whatever ignition system you want we can control it. Any sensors you want we can program them in.
Or we can do an ITB intake.....:drool:

Ms3 pro this link is for one of the options way...... overkill. 8ft harness
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-evo-standalone-engine-management-system/

Ms3 fully sequential everything, you can use an ingnition module or self ignitor coils for full sequential ignition.
This option is under 800$

Ms2. Basically what the rest of us use. Batch fire fuel and wasted spark. Can be done for under 550$

Ms1 can be used but to be honest I would use one of the other options.

The only cavat is the fact you have to wire in the harness, but diy sells all kinds of options new. Or if you do like I do a smart JY dog can find what he needs on the cheap.

Put it all in writing.
Yeah, no sht. He told me he never offered me the 351 now.

I'm going to lose on this deal, no doubt. I'm keeping Doby though. Too much effort there and new parts. I will somehow get him the money and cut off that part of my family. Enough.

So I've got a hardon for a 351 now......time to look at craig's list.