My 1998 GT is slow

dixond11

Oct 10, 2019
Illinois
I just purchased my first mustang, a 1998 gt 5 speed, it sounds amazing but it seems really slow to me. i got beat by a v6 infiniti too. my mustang is a 4.6 with deleted cat converters, km cold air intake, aftermarket throttle body, an x pipe exhaust, and even 3.73 gear aspect ratio, i don’t see why it would be getting beat by a v6 with the mods done to it

• Sponsors (?)

It's getting beat by a V6 Infiniti (I'm assuming a G35 or G37), because compared to one of those, it IS slow.

You're taking an early 4.6 with it's 215 stock horsepower, and mods that, other than gears, are mostly placebo effect, against a far more modern car with more power.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I own a 2012 G37x (~326 hp v6 stock, AWD, ~3800 lbs) as well as a mildly modified 5.0 and would agree with what everyone else has said. In fact, my goal for the stang is to get it to the point where it is faster than the Infiniti!

Budget build would be PI heads and manifold form a 2001 n up GT and a aftermarket plenum, shifter, and a dyno tune. You will have a good power increase for not much money, 215 F/wheel horse for the 98 GT to 260 F/W horse of a 2001 to 2004 GT. 45 horse bump in power for s few hours work in your driveway is not to shabby. While you're switching the heads might as well do the headers too.