My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today

Argetni

Mar 18, 2010
8/20/2010 - My 2011 GT Premium has 1200 miles on it now. Since day one there has always been a bit of a shimmy in the wheel which could only can be seen if you let go of the wheel and watch it rock a couple of degrees.

After the car sat for two weeks while I was on vacation the tires must have flat spotted as now there is a vibration all the time on the highway, pretty strong from 80-100 and beyond. I have driven it 300+ miles and it still is bad so something is wrong besides simple flat spotting from sitting and it is not like 2 weeks is a long time.

At times even under 55mph you can watch the steering wheels rock a few degrees if you take your hands off it.

I called the dealer (Mahwah Ford) and they said they will not drive the car 80mph, so I did not even bother to make an appointment.

I moved the rear tires to the front as a test and there was still a shimmy, but it felt different…worse maybe.

I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I took it to Euro Tire in Fairfield, NJ (very highly regarded shop) and had the tires balanced and one turned on the wheel as it had a "high spot" they said. $85 OOP.

STILL SHIMMY/VIBRATION AT 80mph

I then the same day took it to Tire and Wheel performance center in Ridgewood, NJ (another very highly regarded shop). They found 3 out of 4 tires to be out of balance, odd as Euro Tire just balanced them that day but I was in the garage when T&W did the work and the machine showed them out of balance. $55 more OOP

STILL SHIMMY/VIBRATION now from 55-80 and beyond.

8/24/2010 - Now that it was happening at lower speeds I took it to the dealer (Mahwah Ford, Mahwah, NJ) I gave them notes about what had been done so far.

8/25/2010 - Dealer gave the old “unable to reproduce customer concern” They claim they took it up to 85 MPH twice and it was smooth. Nothing more they can do.

08/27/2010 - I went right to my salesman to complain and he put me right into a brand new 2011 on the lot that had 65 miles on it. As soon as I hit the highway with the new car the steering wheel was doing the same dance, mild but there and over 80mph it had a pretty strong vibe, but much less than my car.

At this point I decided to take the car to the shop of a guy I know that owns an exotic car rental business (Gotham Dream Cars). He had his mechanic rebalance the tires on a brand new Hunter GSP 9700. He found all the tires out of balance with Road Force measurements as follows 29,26,9, 6 all within spec. $100 OOP

SHIMMY STILL THERE! MUCH WORSE NOW.

08/28/2010 – I decided to buy another set of tires and wheels to try out from a forum member. 19” Luster nickel painted from a 2010 GT with a couple thousand miles on them. On the ride to his place the car shook so badly at times I had to slow below 55 so I would not get sick.

New wheels and tires mounted, car is smooth up till 70 and pretty good at 80-90 but not very smooth 90-100+. $925 OOP

The previous owner claims his car was very smooth with these wheels.

I also drove his 2010 GT with 19s from a 2010 GT500 and it too had a bit of rocking when you take your hands off the wheel but was otherwise smooth at speeds up to 70mph.

08/29/2010 – I curb my one of my brand new used wheels and have to get it fixed for $135 OOP – looks almost good as new.

09/09/2010 – I took the factory 18” that are off the car to yet another tire shop. They find all 4 out of balance and get this one warped wheel. The guy shows me on the balancer how the wheels does not spin true. He said to put the warped one on the right rear and it should be ok. He said the warped wheel has to be a factory flaw as there is no visible damage and no bends in it, it is just not perfectly round. $45 OOP.

09/10/2010 – 2100 miles on the car now and I am not sure what to do at this point. I paid 33K for a 412HP car that is not smooth over 80mph and am at my wits end. I have spent $1345 OOP and am worse off than I when I started. I am actually debating on buying a BRAND NEW set of aftermarket wheels and tires as a test but I am not a rich man and my wife is ready to divorce me over all of my complaining about this issue.

Interesting tidbit - the shimmy is much worse when in SPORT mode.

• Sponsors (?)

Just a few thoughts...

Get someone else to drive your car and see if they also notice the vibration issues described above

Does your car have an automatic or manual?

Maybe a brake rotor or possibly an axle or something else in the drive train is out of balance? Seems that the wheels / tires don't really have anything to do with your problem as you've had them balanced and replaced multiple times.

how many places is this thread going to be posted on? one car in thousands out of balance.

get it fixed and shut up about it. jeez.

10 forums

It is not an out of balance issue and other 2011 owners are suffering from the same issue. We believe is it related to the EPAS.

Thanks for the concern though.

making multiple threads isn't going to fix it. you need to hound your dealer. if they say that they can't do that testing on public roads say "fine, take it to where you can test it, warranty work is your responsibility".

something isn't right here. i'd be raising hell if a dealer wouldn't check out something that was wrong with a car ford built and they sold to me.

making multiple threads isn't going to fix it. you need to hound your dealer. if they say that they can't do that testing on public roads say "fine, take it to where you can test it, warranty work is your responsibility".

something isn't right here. i'd be raising hell if a dealer wouldn't check out something that was wrong with a car ford built and they sold to me.

It did help actually as it helped other people with the same issue to let me know about it.

Lemon law does not covering issues ocurring above the highest speed limit in the state, I already looked into it :(

On 08/28 above you wrote:

"On the ride to his place the car shook so badly at times I had to slow below 55 so I would not get sick."

Get the dealer to drive the car on that road, perhaps he will experience the same thing you did.

Also, something I noticed while driving my Dad's vette some months ago is that cars with wide tires tend to "track" in the groves formed by deformation of the road (due to heavy trucks, heat, traffic, etc). At times it was pretty horrific and I thought the car was out of alignment. Any chance this is what you are experiencing?

On 08/28 above you wrote:

"On the ride to his place the car shook so badly at times I had to slow below 55 so I would not get sick."

Get the dealer to drive the car on that road, perhaps he will experience the same thing you did.

Also, something I noticed while driving my Dad's vette some months ago is that cars with wide tires tend to "track" in the groves formed by deformation of the road (due to heavy trucks, heat, traffic, etc). At times it was pretty horrific and I thought the car was out of alignment. Any chance this is what you are experiencing?

Yes that was with the old wheels and tires which I now know one was warped and out of balance.

The dealerships could care less about NVH issues as they get almost nothing from warranty work troubleshooting them.

Seems like any car you drive has a vibration issue, Maybe your too focused on finding a problem and not really enjoying the whole new car thing. I can sit in my new 5.0 and find few issues if i tried too. i have the 5.0 and honestly it's a great car.