My 429 Fox project

stoney

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2000
Brandon MB
I am currently working on a 1989 5.0lx.
My Donor motor is a rebuilt 429 from a 1970 ford thunderbird with a c6.
Im using the ford motormount and hooker header swap kit. It includes the oil pump and pan.

I was wondering what conversion pieces i would need to hook up a heavy duty t-5 to the motor. Ive been searching for kits and Ive found plate adapters. But I havnt found one that includes what flywheel and clutch to use. Id kind of like to know what sort of price package deal im looking at not including the tranny. I am aware of the limits of a t-5. Other then a new carb the motor will remain stock with the swap pieces.

• Sponsors (?)

Man, you're begging to kill a T-5 with big block torque! :rlaugh:

You'd probably just need to find a 10 spline 12" clutch with a 1 1/16" input shaft. I wouldn't imagine it needs to be anything special. QuickTime has the bellhousing to use the T-5 with the 429 (6th bellhousing down, under Ford) that comes with the bellhousing, engine plate, and bolts. They could probably recommend you a clutch if you asked for a recommendation.

Toploader

I may have found a top loader tranny. Out of a 428 mustang it includes the bell housing clutch shifter linkage etc. Will this bolt up to my 70 tbird 429 ? Or am I looking at any special bell housings ? What do I need to know ?

Update

After Much thought. Ive made the decision to keep the c6. My initial goal was to have a very muscle car feeling fox body. Which includes drive ability, looks, interior feel.

So ill be hacking up the center console area and have a nice auto shifter for the interior feel.
As for drive ability (seat of pants fun feeling) What sort of gearing should I use in the rear end ?
I have 2.73s right now. What sorts of speeds am I looking at for 1st 2nd and 3rd?
The car is not a track car I may take it to see what it runs once but its primary purpose is sunday cruise night. What do you guys think ?
As for colors im going with grabber orange, a flat black hood with scoop (not planning to get a cowl hood) and black gt spoiler. No ground effects and black turbines.

Ill have pics of the car in another post. The car is being worked on this spring and ill have more pics with details of the swap as things progress.

I have a 1985 GT with a 460

I have a 1985 GT with a 460, it isn’t like anything any of you have been talking about, mine started off with a 302 and a changed to a C4 trans and a 430 gear. was a fun car to drive. Then came the big block, mine is a 429 super cobra jet, bored .030 over and a 460 crank, it is a 11.8 to one compression with a C-6 trans. I played with gears even left the 430 in it after it was done just to screw around, it was like a top fuel going through the water to preheat the tires, right now I am happy with the 3.27 gear is a nice gear, and as far as torque compared to a 302 LOL the 460 motor has TWICE the torque as the small block. And mine spines 7000 rpm on a solid lifter cam and roller rockers.

The huge problem you are going to have with this car isn’t the gas mileage. (mine gets around 12 city) the problem you are going to have is traction, it sucks, I still race the pedal off the line I push it until I feel the secondary start to open, then when it starts to hook it is all the way to the floor, by then you are pushing 65-70 mph in a flash, so be careful on the street this thing goes fast quick. I have been searching the forums looking for some ideas on the wheel tub and the fuel cell in a hatch back. I use to have tunnel ram on it and sold it to a guy on eBay, complete. now it is a single 4 barrel on a single plane manifold that matches my cam rpm perfect, all under a stock hood scoop, yes took some doing and there is a hole in the hood but the scoop is factory and is just clearing the top of the air cleaner and it is a true sleeper, I will post a picture or two of it if I can figure out the soft wear, but I don’t have any of the car with out the tunnel ram yet but I am working on it.

Update

Some info about my setup.

1970 thunderjet, stock rebuild, with a holley 600. C6 with mild converter and shift kit.
Upgraded electronic ignition. Drive belt style pulleys. Manual steering. Hooker super comp swap headers. 8.8 rear with 2.73s.

Was curious what sort of wheel horsepower should I expect out of this ? Guesses anyone ?

man if you using the c6,like i did in my 93 all i had to do was buy a shifter and make custom shifter mounts. it will if you want set exactly where you t5 shifter set. i mean you can if you want move it back. but i just set the shifter where the old on used ot be and modified the plastic console around it and i was done. oh you will prob have to drill a whole for you shifter cable. but ohter than that pretty easy and quick swap.