my 66 progress thread

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
motor, tranny and rear end are out. Interior shot was a few months ago after the motor was taken out. I post here because no one really posts in the classic side. None of the stickie links really work either. Kinda frustrating. Wish I had time to put up links for them. virtually no info on the swaps and what not.

• Sponsors (?)

sold the rear end today. I didnt want to take it out unless I had something to replace it with but cash talks. plus I have a line on a 8" from a 69. Also got ford original rear glass from same guy. Gave the motor and trans away a month ago (cant get anything for a I6 200 and 3 spd). Glad I got to go underneath it. Just surface rust no rot. Loving this thing more and more. planning on a truck liner coating for the underneath once I get it all cleaned up. looking great thus far.

I'll have more and better later. Thinking I need to get one of those photo websites to host the pics from so I can post more.

If you need any help let me know, I've done this swap before. My 68 was a 200ci 3 speed, and now I've got a H/C/I 351w and 5 speed, with disc/suspension/rear end swap.

THanks and dont worry I will have a ton of questions when it gets down to those parts.

COBRA912 said:
neat project. What's the plans engine / trans / rear end wise? cruiser or track car?

It will be a street car. I havent found something in this solid condition for a long time. and while it isnt much to look at the foundation is a great starter. Seen too many that were junk with paint on them and asking a ton of $$$$. I got lucky with this one. Guy had too many projects and had to sacrafice this one.

Engine- I would like a 289 (had one in high school) but will probably end up 302 going carb ( love the look of a carb) looking at something near 350hp rwhp nothing big.

Trans- would love a 6 spd but more than likely a tko500 maybe a t-5. Definitely keeping it a stick. I find it odd that it had a 3 on the floor instead of on the steering column. My 65 ranchero was a 3 on the tree but that didnt stay either.

Suspension-I was looking at the Heidts mustang II kits but looking at that I am not being truly realistic with both $$ and completing the project. for the rear a friend has a 8" out of his 69 that i am getting. I want to beef up the rear a little to avoid wheel hop. definitely subframe connectors. I am still looking into the front suspension parts right now. A lot of guys when the Granada route for brakes and I may head that way too. Just wondering about wheel fitment with the rotor hat and all. I would love a Baer kit but then I am not truly being realistic. The most expensive part on the front end will probably be the Rack and pinion. One thing I truly hated on these was the steering system. The rack provides a much cleaner look in my opinion without being too intrusive in the bay.

for the most part I want to make sure I create a strong foundation. painting the entire under carriage (truck lining or similar product) and then stripping the interior looking for surface rust and getting rid of it all. It wont be a show car but definitely clean. I am in no rush to get it done so one area at a time and I hope to keep posting on the progress and hopefully you guys will keep me honest in working on it.

Sorry for the long explanation but you asked LOL

It is a great product and will be used in areas where needed. But it is expensive and is usually better used when rust is already present. There is barely any on this one. mostly dirt. Paint should suffice but I am going one step further and applying the truck liner. I ahve seen it on other vehicles and it holds up well. Plus i can roll and brush it on and dont have to worry about over spray. I understand rolling it on will take longer but I can do small areas at a time with prepping here and there. I plan and doing the rear first (front of rear wheel well and back) and then moving foward. I still have a lot of disassembly and bagging before then as well.

Instead of the 8" I got a 9" inch today. Tag shows it came out of a 72-74 torino. It will need to be narrowed a few inches. Should clean up nicely. No pics of it just yet. Will pick it up this weekend.

Brought home the nine inch today. Heavy SOB but well worth it. From the tag it is a 2.75 ratio out of a 72-74 torino. Possibly 31 spline axles. Will have to narrow it like 4-5 inches to fit but well worth the 100 bones in my opinion. some pics to enjoy.

so my original plan on the 289 didnt quite pan out... I guess I cant leave well enough alone I bought a 351W today..... should have it home tonite..... what did I get myself into now LOL!

added more pics here
day it came home
66.JPG

100_4200_detail.JPG

interior before and after
100_4208_detail.JPG

100_4805_detail.JPG

7.5" out
100_4808_detail.JPG

9" in after narrowing
100_4835_detail.JPG

old I6
100_4202_detail.JPG

gone
100_4802_detail.JPG

and the replacement
100_4836_detail.JPG

100_4838_detail.JPG

I thought I was going to go 289 or something in that area but this popped up for a good price and couldn't pass it up. Wife's car and she approved the buy. I think she will be totally surprised when she actually drives a car with this in it.

(sorry for the copies but I found a new server)