My 89 5.0 Very Build

jdemolet

Sep 1, 2013
This is a progress of my 89 gt convertible build. First mods were off road h pipe and 10 series flowmasters. Second mod was 3.73 rear gears. I've done regular maintenance like plugs and wires. I'm now doing a gt40 head swap in the next month. Have to get all the parts for the swap. Got a baseline dyno all stock other than the exhaust and gears at competition auto. Its an aod daily driver. I'm hoping after heads and intake swap I'll be at 250-280 rwhp range and 300+ rwtq with 12-14° of timing

Attachments

• 1425260334971-1345279543.jpg
    1425260334971-1345279543.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Sponsors (?)

With the aod it will be hard to get above 250. But good luck! And keep posting! Always like looking at dyno graphs and it informs others of what to expect with similar mods.

Probably want to consider a trans cooler and a shift kit.
Shift kit's are relatively cheap and moderate level to install, you just have to be prepared to make a serious mess and be sure to follow directions.
The quicker shifts will help reduce heat.

This is a progress of my 89 gt convertible build. First mods were off road h pipe and 10 series flowmasters. Second mod was 3.73 rear gears. I've done regular maintenance like plugs and wires. I'm now doing a gt40 head swap in the next month. Have to get all the parts for the swap. Got a baseline dyno all stock other than the exhaust and gears at competition auto. Its an aod daily driver. I'm hoping after heads and intake swap I'll be at 250-280 rwhp range and 300+ rwtq with 12-14° of timing

I'm glad you did a before dyno so we all could see how big of a difference there will be as well as a couple time slips. Do you plan on upgrading the cam while you're digging into the engine?

update on the build just purchased a used 302 roller block for 100 bucks in the next few months I will be starting a 10:1 compression iron gt40 headed 306 with a stage 2 comp or Anderson motorsports cam with gt40 intake aiming for 300-312 rwhp and over 300 rwtq

I'd highly recommend a silverfix valve body and the largest plete trans cooler you can fit. The AOD soaks up about 20% of power. To really help the AOD, an upgraded converter in the 2500-2800 stall speed range will get it out of the hole quicker.. I like Edge converters.

well an update on the project after getting the block I discovered it had a crack so back to the drawing board I went now with a new route for the build a mild ported e7 head with new lightweight manley valves new springs and a decent port job along with a ported gt40p intake unerdrive pulley kit and maybe a mild cam

well an update on the project after getting the block I discovered it had a crack so back to the drawing board I went now with a new route for the build a mild ported e7 head with new lightweight manley valves new springs and a decent port job along with a ported gt40p intake unerdrive pulley kit and maybe a mild cam

I cannot think of any reason to spend $1 in stock E7 heads when for about $300-400 you can run stock explorer/gt40 heads with upgraded springs and a clearnup,, and they will run circles around the E7's.

Reactions: 1 user