Progress Thread My '89 Lx "barn Find" Restoration Project

Cam bearings... I love the SBF specific cam bearing tool. It was cheaper and easier to use than the universal ones
IMG_4171.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

The guts... I did end up getting a complete rebuild kit, new main shaft due to wear, and reverse gear due to to two teeth being busted... Probably from bump starting when I was in college and couldn't afford a new battery.
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG

I've seen a video where someone did that electrolysis cleanup on a complete 6.8 V-10 block. He stood it up on its side in a large trash can to get it to work.

It's actually nice to see everything going back together with all stock parts.

The cylindrical vacuum reservoir in the passenger inner fender is for the emissions system. The spherical one is for the HVAC.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen a video where someone did that electrolysis cleanup on a complete 6.8 V-10 block. He stood it up on its side in a large trash can to get it to work.

It's actually nice to see everything going back together with all stock parts.

The cylindrical vacuum reservoir in the passenger inner fender is for the emissions system. The spherical one is for the HVAC.
It is a pretty cool process, and one I chose after much research on all the chemical choices. Those aluminum cast valve covers though... A ton of purple de-greaser, followed by glass bead blasting was the only solution for them. Note: Harbor Freight glass beads are not glass beads, but crushed glass fragments. It was actually worth the extra money for the glass beads at Northern Tool to get the proper results.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user