My Baby Need's 300RWHP this winter.

Yellow302

Mar 2, 2003
NJ
Hey guys I'm looking to beef up the 302 a little more. Right now I have all bolt on's and a TFS Street Heat Intake. Full mods in sig.

I'm looking to do head's next. I've done one head swap about a year ago on my friends 5.0.

If you could help me by listing the parts I need. I'm looking for over 300RWHP. I want to keep the stock cam until i build the 331 in a year or two.

If i can keep the intake great if i have to replace the upper thats fine. Looking for good mid-high power. Should rev to 5500 or higher ~ 6500 tops.

I also want to switch to the fox TB setup so its easier to work on down the road. I could get new Valve covers too not a problem.

I wish someone could sell me the whole junkyard fox assembly cable spacer and all.

Looking forward to your posts!

• Sponsors (?)

One more thing... I'm thinking of going to longtubes with a new prochamber for long tubes. If you could help me out there too with the O/2 Sensor extender which i think i need.

Or should i just stick with what i have now?

Yellow302 said:
Hey guys I'm looking to beef up the 302 a little more. Right now I have all bolt on's and a TFS Street Heat Intake. Full mods in sig.

I'm looking to do head's next. I've done one head swap about a year ago on my friends 5.0.

If you could help me by listing the parts I need. I'm looking for over 300RWHP. I want to keep the stock cam until i build the 331 in a year or two.

If i can keep the intake great if i have to replace the upper thats fine. Looking for good mid-high power. Should rev to 5500 or higher ~ 6500 tops.

I also want to switch to the fox TB setup so its easier to work on down the road. I could get new Valve covers too not a problem.

I wish someone could sell me the whole junkyard fox assembly cable spacer and all.

Looking forward to your posts!

One word.. Blower

The only reason i dont want to change the cam is because i have never done it before.

I dont want to pay some one to do it all because I don't want to waist the money when i can do 85% of the work myself.

It is possible with a stock cam and stock 302ci, but would be hard. My friend's 95 cobra has a stock cam (stock cobra, very mild) afr185's, stock cobra upper and lower, stock cobra 24# inj, pro-m mass air, full exhaust, w/no cats, pullies, 70mm tb, custom chip, and he dyno'd 280rwhp. His car is very fast, and could be at or over 300rwhp mark with a better manifold, fuel system and tuning. It is obviously possible, and i love to see those naturally aspirated powerhouses but I would save up a bit more and get a 6-8psi blower if you want less of a headache.

i could buy a blower but that would take all the fun out of it!

Can you install the cam without taking the motor out?? If so then i might get a cam to go with it.

my goal for the car is as follows.

this winter 300RWHP all motor keep the 302.

this summer coilovers up front with tubular kmember and or rims and tires.

about year and later 1/2 get a new 331 and transfer everything over.

year later turbo time.

Yellow302 said:
i could buy a blower but that would take all the fun out of it!

Yeah, I know what you mean about it taking all the fun out of it. Anyone with money can get a stock gt and an S-Trim, and run killer et's. Not nearly as fun as building your own, customized how you want, with your own unique combination.
You don't have to pull your motor out to install a cam. i have never installed one myself, but I know the motor does not have to come out. However, it is not an easy install. But if your already installing heads at the same time, it's much less work. I was talking to a friend about cams who works at a mustang shop, and he said it's a two-man job.

Yellow302 said:
The only reason i dont want to change the cam is because i have never done it before.

I dont want to pay some one to do it all because I don't want to waist the money when i can do 85% of the work myself.

Don't you have some gearhead buds that have some cam changing experience to lend you a helping hand?

A cam can make quite a difference in how your car performs and drives.

With good heads and intake even a very mild cam will help a lot.

Last thing I would say to you about the cam thing is that once you have the block down to a heads off condition it is not much more work to take the tc cover off and swap out the cam.

You are gonna be bummed out if later on you decide to go for a cam and have to do most of that work again and you will have to buy gaskets and such for the second time.

Later
Grady

yeah still even tougher with an auto. But Once you got the heads off, drop your oil pan, and take the timing cover off. Undo the bold in the timing chain. Take that off. Then pull the cam out. Grease up the new one really well, dont forget to put the dowel in the end first. Then put a new timing chain on it, and line up the marks on the chain per cam instructions. Any kind of haynes or ford manual would be better than that explanation though.

WhiteDevil said:
yeah still even tougher with an auto. But Once you got the heads off, drop your oil pan, and take the timing cover off. Undo the bold in the timing chain. Take that off. Then pull the cam out. Grease up the new one really well, dont forget to put the dowel in the end first. Then put a new timing chain on it, and line up the marks on the chain per cam instructions. Any kind of haynes or ford manual would be better than that explanation though.

No need to drop the pan..

Im with the guy who said just get a blower.. Keep the stock cam, and stick the sc on and be done with it. Just make sure its tuned and the car will still behave like stock with alot more power.

Ok you guys talked me into a cam.

If some one could list the parts i need heads, cam, lifters, rockers, injectors, maf, gaskets and so on...

I know so of you people have to have your dream list on your computer.

Yellow302 said:
Ok you guys talked me into a cam.

If some one could list the parts i need heads, cam, lifters, rockers, injectors, maf, gaskets and so on...

I know so of you people have to have your dream list on your computer.

If you are gonna go with Aluminum heads I would use stud rr's. No shims or different length pr's to mess with if some of them don't work right.

I'm running Scorpion rr's with my AFR's and they have given me no probs.

Lately lots of folks have been using the steel rr's from Comp.

Later
Grady