Been busting my ass this weekend, motor is out of the truck and in the process of being cleaned little by little. One head needs machine work to remove a broken bolt i couldnt get out.
Started some fab work. Saw an idea to use 1" emt conduit and a bender to make light duty structures decided to give it a try. One side has a little more curve at the top and im wondering if i should try to straighten it or just let it be my dirty little secret.
The front end/radiator support is getting cut out and replaced with this removable tube frame one.
The tube bender i bought was absolute crap, even by harbor freight standars. It kinked the sharp bends bad. I was worried about the structural rigidity of it all at first till i started welding and im actually really impressed with how sturdy it is. Not fully welded up.... i gunked up my tungsten and its too late at night to grind a new tip. Figured ive made enough noise all day today and ill let my neighbors sleep.
After this is done ill be measuring up and cutting out pieces of the transmission tunnel.
Forbidden love at that lol. Thats movie material there.
Ima leave the cheasy lines and inuendo up to yalls imagination. Looking at that pic im now realizing just how high up the stang is sitting with out its motor. I wonder how far down the front will sit with the motor in it.
Finished up the tube front end and drilled out the 76 spot welds holding the old one on. After removal i put the fenders, bumper and hood on. It all fits!
This one sits a little lower cause i made it a little taller. Time to do some bracket fabrication with what i have.
Ok so update, I cut out the tranny tunnel and opened up the firewall to about 21 inches where the tranny drops through. At first after cutting out the tunnel and setting it on the tranny i thought i did unnecessary work there, but after getting the motor in im glad i did it.
For the guys who want to drop in an LS with a 4l80e transmission you probably wont have to cut away as much as i did ,but the verticle section where the gas peddal sits will probably have to go. I think the fit is just too tight. The rest though you can probably get away with an aggressive message of the tunnel.
Motor looks like it will fit without too much issue and I might be able to run headers or a manifold without cutting out my fender wells.
Ive got everything pretty much where i want it side to side. Just have to get the crank angle just right. The plan is to make an adjustable angle mount.
I cut off the motor side of the truck mount and the body side of the stang mount. I will make a cradle bracket, if that makes sense, on each and weld one side to my 2 inch pipe. The pipe will act as my pivot point and onve ive got the ideal angle i want (im going for 3° tilted back) ill weld them in place and start working on my cross member. Because that mount is likely going to look like crap and will definately be bulkey I will use that as a negative to make a jig that i can use to make a nice tucked in tight mount hopefully with less unneeded welds.
Also got the front end frame mostly finished i stopped cause i spent 2 days straight on in and a little tired from it.
Now its time for a photo dump.
Alsoit looks like I wont have to worry about hood clearance if i get a car intake manifold or a low clearance one like the holley lo-ram, which is the rout i would probably end up going anyways, boost and maybe a little spray is the end goal here and i dont trust the composite manifolds, ive heard of the LS2 handling it well but dont want to take my chances and like the security you get from metal under pressure.
Quick update first mount has been made.
Not too happy with the look of the welds, the jig has some tight spots and all i have is a stick welder to work with on it, i dont trust the tig with something this heavy duty. After it cools off ima go in and grind them smooth and check for imperfections. May turn the heat up as hot as she will go in 110. Its amost all 3/8 steel i beveled the crap out of it to ensure good pen so im not worried there. The mounts are solid this time around. I may end up making some poly bushed ones when ive got a mig.