My biggest build yet.

dpea250

Mar 11, 2020
SLC, Utah
Hello all.
I've officially decided to sell my current project (tried to make an Acura TL fast.)
I've been bored with it and didn't feel like going full blown racecar.
So decided to do a big displacement build, the original plan was an e36 bmw with a twin turbo ls swap in it but then I saw a mustang 2 going for sale locally and it reminded me of the story my dad told about the one he had and dropped a big block into so plans changed and now I've got the stand ii. So far ive got the motor out and I'm planning on doing a decent amount of restoration as well. Old car long forgotten and universally hated they are bound to have issues. A decent amount of rust and some damage from someone who didn't know where doing. Here's some pics of my last car as well as the current progress on this one.

Attachments

• 20200212_105029.jpg
    20200212_105029.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet!

If you're going big block, I suggest you take a look at 429MII's build thread.

Big blocks don't just drop into a II's chassis, they take a significant amount of fabrication to make them work. Even a 351W takes minor modifications such as raising the engine a little to clear the cross member and custom headers to name a couple. IIs take specific parts for just a 302 swap as well, such as motor mounts (engine and frame) and oil pan. And bell housings were made a little smaller in order to fit the transmission tunnel which necessitated a smaller flywheel/flexplate that is unique to the II. Regular bell housings will fit, but it may require a little persuasion from a BFH. Oh, and the starters sat in a different position in the II bell as compared to the regular bell housings for exhaust clearance. Just some things to keep in mind while going forward on your build.

Now, all of that being said, nothing is impossible! Do you have a plan laid out that you're aiming for? Keep us all up to date as best you can and post plenty of pics - everyone LOVES pics!! And if you have any questions feel free to ask. There is a lot of knowledge here in the forum, someone can at least point you in the right direction if they don't have the answer. Good luck!!

I'll take a look at 429MII to see what he did. I'm aware of the work needed @LILCBRA, ill keep the exact details a secret for now but I'll tell you what all I think ima have to do, cutting out the fire wall, trans tunnel, and front fender wells, 4 link, mini tubs, modern platform and boost. These engine bags are definitely small and room needs to be made. But damn are these cars light. Pushed this thing up my driveway into garage by myself . Better than my TL that thing is heavy as hell compared. Thank you for the support and look forward to dealing with you guys in the future

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like a fun project. I'm excited!
WE want Lots of pictures please.
gonna be badarse!

Wow
All right another big bock? mutt 2 ,
Man I need to get with the program.
All i need is the drivetrain from a Boss9.
Anyone?

Anyone?

enhanced-buzz-32166-1360715374-17.jpg

No big block for me.
But you will get off pictures I promise. None tonight cause I havent done much.
But I took a really good look at the interior and damn, its definitely an economy car lol. Not sure if I really plan on keeping it all in there anyways so I'm not too worried. Are there any sources for a better interior though?
This sounds like a fun project. I'm excited!
WE want Lots of pictures please.
gonna be badarse!

Wow
All right another big bock? mutt 2 ,
Man I need to get with the program.
All i need is the drivetrain from a Boss9.
Anyone?

Anyone?

enhanced-buzz-32166-1360715374-17.jpg

Bummer, Grumble Grumble
It'll be something good right!?!
No I don't mean an LS or Cummins
I'm really sorry but........
With the price, packaging, aftermarket support, and availability of these things its kinda my best option. I wish I had the budget for a coyote, I kinda like the fact that yotes are high reving overhead cam engines and they can make more power per cube but they are hard to come by around here and more expensive to build. I can go to a wrecking yard and find a 5.3 iron block for 6-700. There is also something about dropping a gm motor into the most hated mustang and making even fans of them hate me too one day though it would be cool. Especially seeing as I'll have the room for it too.

Small update I'm getting the interior pulled out as much as possible before work. Gonna Remove the brake booster too and start working on the engine bay this weekend.

Attachments

• 20200312_104237.jpg
    20200312_104237.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20200312_115825.jpg
    20200312_115825.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200312_115845.jpg
    20200312_115845.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 219
It's been done, more than once if I recall. Here's one build thread but the OP never finished his thread OR never finished the car - the world may never know....

It's been done, more than once if I recall. Here's one build thread but the OP never finished his thread OR never finished the car - the world may never know....
Yeah ice seen one thread on ls1tech the dude said he had a 4.8 to drop in but then he said he sold it and the thread went dark.
Still looking forward to seeing it
So...post lots of pictures please.

So good so far, engine out , dash out, money out:D
Yeah your gonna be seeing lots of teardown for a bit lol.
Found a couple potential donors. Looking at 1 tomorrow and one on saturday.
Gonna pick up a pipe/tube bender this weekend and some pipe. Plan on making a removable front end to make working on it easier.

Quick update, so I've been doing some measurements and its looking like I will need a gto oil pan to clear the cross member, not thrilled about having a front sump oil pan but if that's what it takes.....
Picking up a doner truck today a silverado 2500 the 6.0 is nice but really its the trans I'm after im wasn't yet ready for a new motor yet but the price was too good to pass up. And I've been reading up a bit on @429MII's thread and it gives me hope. If that thing will fit a small block shouldn't be a problem. Clearing the steering shaft will be tricky though. Been grinding and brushing away at the rust little by little got a full weekend to myself so more prep work will be done and ima try to get the old motor out of my garage.

Since you've switched from big block to LS, read that.

I got the truck here, got a way good deal and gave me enough spare in the budget for a pipe and tube roller and sone other ods and ends, gonna try to make a tube frame front end thats easier to remove and use the pipe rack the truck came with for the material. Lot of work but budget friendly. Read the thread recomended by 74stang2togo and it looks like i have the right idea with a front sump oil pan. Shame he didnt post a pick with the fit up of it on the cross member.

Attachments

• 20200314_184945.jpg
    20200314_184945.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: 2 users
Small update, took out the k member going to order a gto oil pan and make a new k member to fit it. Looked up the canton front mount oil pan and they wanted an arm and a leg for everything though it would be nice to have. They didn't weld on -an fittings and instead sell a separate block that's tapped for an-12... F-n capitalists . Talked with a buddy of mine who said I stumbled upon a gold mine with the Silverado. Will take some time but I can part out a few things and make my money back and then some got started on making a new front end but only have 2 soft bends in it so far that pipe is freaking strong lol.finished cleaning up the bay and as soon as the gto oil pan comes in I'll pull the truck motor.

Also a little life hack, a couple drops of super glue helps to hold Band-Aids on well in tight spots like your knuckles when you don't pay attention to where your cutting with a die grinder and cut off wheel

Attachments

• 20200315_191948.jpg
    20200315_191948.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 20200315_192042.jpg
    20200315_192042.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Informative
I like the 'pay for itself donor vehicle'
Just got to get past the rotting carcass stage before you piss off the neighbors and lower the property values

No more death wheel on the knuckles too.
I want this mess cleaned up before I get back:D:p;)

I like the 'pay for itself donor vehicle'
Just got to get past the rotting carcass stage before you piss off the neighbors and lower the property values

No more death wheel on the knuckles too.
I want this mess cleaned up before I get back:D:p;)
If you saw my neighborhood youd realize its actually nice having a newer car rotting in your driveway .
That cutoff wheel went way deeper than i thought, cleaning it out the other day i saw that i managed to cut a little bit of tendon.
Got all the carpet out and now im scraping away the sound deadening. Got about 25 lb out of the passenger side so far. Feeling how flemsy the sheet metal is in places i may do some reinforcing.
Working on getting the motor ready to take out this weekend, oil pan shows up monday.

Attachments

• 20200317_234005.jpg
    20200317_234005.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200317_234020.jpg
    20200317_234020.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 2 users