My clutch is disengaged

MoparorNocaR

Dec 15, 2005
Hey guys. my clutch cable snapped in two on me. so i had to buy a new one. i got it from advanced. but here is my problem. I first installed the firwall side which came with no problem. then the tranny side. i fed it threw the little hole, clipped it and then voila! i thought i had a done clutch cable in less than an hour. but now my clutch wont even engage, pressing the pedal does nothing, i can easily slip it in and out of gear with no penalty...

help ...

is my cable too short ? or is their anyway to adjust it...

thnks
aaron

• Sponsors (?)

There have been a lot of reports of the OTC cables being too short and causing issues with the clutch engagement.

I always thought when the cable was too short, it would be like riding the clutch and when the cable was too long it wouldn't allow for disengagement.

My only recommendation is go to your local ford dealer and pick up a new cable from the parts department.

does the cable have a threaded end on the side that attaches to the clutch fork? do you have a double hook cluth quadrent at your clutch peddel or is it still stock. i could be that you have to pull up on your clutch pedal to get the factory clutch quadrent to adjust.

Yep - you can release a stock quadrant and pawl adjustment so you can reset it.

FWIW, your clutch is not disengaging (using correct terminology helps with making sure we are all on the same page).

And as said, if you have a threaded rod on the clutch fork, make sure you orient the adjuster nut correctly and then adjust the clutch. It sounds like you need to remove some slack (tighten the nut).

Good luck.