My Diy Fi Intake Takes Shape.

Mad%20Mike%202013%20logo1b.jpg
Uhh,...I was thinking something a little more subtle.

i dont know mm, i think the logo rocks, and fits the project nicely.:D:D:D

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Well it is what it is. A guy on the turbo forums just pointed out a potential "side effect" of thin sheetmetal on top/bottom of the intake.

Pulsing at idle causes a potential buzz as the metal breathes w/ each intake pulse.:nonono:

So, I was planning to add "ribs" or fins if you will on top to add rigidity to the sheet metal. three branches that start at the TB, and split off to each port so there will be a leg going to each port kinda like a tree.

I would take some 1/2" od tubing and drill clean through the plenum and tig both sides. It will brace both pieces against one another and won't affect air flow enough to matter.

I think Uni-horn guy is all the support you could need. How about some old school like aluminum ribs? Then the final product could be painted with the ribs polished out? I'm picturing a nice black with the highest portions polished. But than again, I'm working on the Dodge truck again. doesn't leave much room for artistic talent.

I think Uni-horn guy is all the support you could need. How about some old school like aluminum ribs? Then the final product could be painted with the ribs polished out? I'm picturing a nice black with the highest portions polished. But than again, I'm working on the Dodge truck again. doesn't leave much room for artistic talent.

This is a really rough draft of what I was thinking RD:
emn5.jpg

Now those ribs would naturally follow a more flowing path other than what the "paint" program would let me do, and they would have to be made out of steel, and not aluminum.....otherwise I'll play hell trying to attach them to the top. But it would be as you said, wrinkle black w/ the tops of the ribs buffed off. then I'd have to clear the thing to keep the shiny steel from rusting.
Now couple that to the two/three tubes that have to penetrate the top and bottom to tie the two parallel surfaces together, now that I know it's gonna buzz if I don't, and that should be enough "decoration" for everybody.

Unless you just feel like doing the work, I would just get the car together and see if it actually buzzes. Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of extra steel for something that *might* happen. Besides, it's not like you couldn't rework it later if it did buzz.

I think it will look good and function the way you need it to. My thought on the aluminum was that you can purchase square lengths and easily bend them, but your right it would make the welding a PITA. Regardless, it should look great when your done.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I literally lol'ed at that picturing Mike's face when he read it.

So you are talking about it buzzing at idle, but did anyone talk about it expanding like a lung under boost?

Hey, I'll have you know that I'm a live and let live kind a guy. If Noobz wants to share his boy toy pics w/ the rest of us, more power to him. Now while not for me personally, what he and his man does w/ that horn is his business.

As far as that intake inflating at 18 psi, It'd be some weak ass steel if it did. Now,..if I was forcing double that into it,...then I might be worried.

As for the buzzing,..i could totally see how that could happen. There would be enough flexibility in the sheetmetal to move in/out enough have some harmonic effect at idle.

Well,...there was enough flexibility.
fe5s.jpg

but then I welded these tubes between the top and bottom.

I call this pic "Bender's Colonoscopy"

Reactions: 4 users