My drive home from work misadventure

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
Have you ever had one of those days when all you want to do is get home, eat supper, prop up your feet and relax? Yesterday as one of those times - but it didn't happen...

After putting in an hour of OT trying to get a new computer loaded up with software, I left for the house. My commute is about 45 minutes of a toll road at 60 MPH+ and a state 4 lane highway. About the time I got off the toll road and half way down the 4 lane highway, I notice that the voltmeter is down around 11 volts. Its night time and there is a slight drizzle, so the electrical load is up there. The 3G alternator never complained before, so I figured the mass market reman alternator is dying. I think no problem, I just need to find the receipt and get a new one for free. I flick the lights on and off and the voltage goes back up to 13 volts. Humm - what's happening - bad voltage regulator? The voltage slowly comes back to 14+ volts and I keep on driving. I slow down for a stop light and the oil pressure gauge is doing a funny up & down dance. Low pressure is about 20 PSI at 1000 RPM and zero at idle. Did the voltage surge do something to the instrument cluster? I make the turn on to a two lane and then start to smell hot oil. A block later, I pull off the road into the entrance to a high class housing development. I pop the hood open and start looking to see what up. Oil is everywhere, so I pull the dipstick - the tip has a drop of oil on it but not much more. I then realize that the hose for the under the hood oil pressure gauge has sprung a leak. The leak sprayed oil all over the fan belt, making it slip and the alternator output drop off.

Out comes the cell phone for a call to the wife to come tow me home since it is about 5 easy miles. It starts to rain – not good. This starts to accelerate my prayer life and faith level very quickly. The wife arrives and I make an attempt to find a place to hook the tow strap to the Mustang. I’m still wearing a pair of dress pants, dress shirt and shoes. The underside of the car is oil soaked and the pavement is wet – not a good combination to preserve one’s wardrobe. Time for Plan B - a series of calls to the Mobil Auto club for the free towing I am paying for. No luck there – all the redneck tow drivers are busy swilling down beer and eating supper. The auto club guy with his Indian accent tells me that I will have to pay for the towing myself and file for re-imbursement or wait till morning.

Plan C – I really didn’t have a Plan C, so I had to formulate one. Go home, change clothes, and gather up tools, jackstands and lots of battery powered lights. Back to the car with tools and 5 quarts of oil the wife was good enough to get while I called the guy in India for a wrecker in central Florida. I had a pipe plug for the tee fitting to the oil gauge hose, so I jack up the car, place the jack stands and remove the jack. Within 5 minutes, I have the hose disconnected and the plug installed in the tee for the oil pressure gauge hose. Pour the first gallon of oil in and check the dipstick, and it is about a quart or more over the mark. I must have had about 2 quarts of oil left in the engine when I stopped. Start the car, checked for leaks and found none. Put the jack back in place, raise the car enough to get the jackstands out and let it back down. Now I get to gather up all the tools, flashing lights and the cardboard I was laying on and drive home.

The thing that saved me from quickly pumping all the oil out was a trick I leaned as an aircraft mechanic. Every pressure gauge line should have a restrictor orifice in it. In my case, a 10-32 screw threaded into the hose adapter and drilled to about .040 kept the oil from being pumped out in seconds and helped keep the pressure up. Who says God doesn’t watch out for old guys like me? He sure did last night…

• Sponsors (?)

man you gotta be glad that day is over with...im glad the problem was easily located it could have been a real headache to find if the hole was larger maybe and all the oil leaked out with out spraying it all over and getting on your belts ...you could have dried that motor out and found out when she stalled and wouldnt turn over again....i think your lucky

JRichker, nicely done!

With a relatively old car, you do quite well with the lack of roadside repairs needed. Speaking personally, it chaps me when an issue arises from some aftermarket tinkering I performed.

In my youth I'd modify everything and everything on my DD Italian car and the old crotchrocket (first gen sportbikes could be real electrical nightmares when it rained). I once slept in a parking lot after riding through a monsoon storm [bike got wet at 2:30 am; had to wait for it to dry out] but I don't wanna steal your thread. Point was, you did quite well with the quick repair :)

If you have a set of old mechanic's overalls, it might be time to put them in the trunk for next time. :shrug: EDIT: I keep a pair of cheap brown cloth gloves in my trunks, along with a pair or two of nitrile gloves. They brown ones have saved my hands from being burned a few times and they're cheap.

And hey, the youngins don't necessarily realize it, but cell phones sure are cool. I never had one for my youthful escapades. What did we do before Joe?

In searching for fuel pressure gauge fitting info a couple weeks ago, I reacquainted myself with your FP post. I remember thinking the orifice restrictor would be a real neat way to go. I'll have to figure out a way to make it happen.

My thinking is...it wasn't GOD who helped you out, I'm fairly certain he knows you well enough to know you're smart enough to get yourself out of something like that....actually I'm willing to bet if GOD himself ever had a car problem, he'd likely be calling you :)

I then realize that the hose for the under the hood oil pressure gauge has sprung a leak. The leak sprayed oil all over the fan belt, making it slip and the alternator output drop off.

to hell with that, id be making up cuss words. thats the most unfortunate little leak i have ever heard of. so im guessing you need a new alternator?

I had something similar happen to me - my oil pressure gauge is inside my car in a pillar pod. I had used the plastic tubing the autometer gauges come with. I didnt have any zip ties left so i secured it using some electrical tape. The tape came loose one night and the line dropped down in the area of where my clutch is. After a couple mins of shifting and not realizing what had happened i wore a hole in the tubing and oil starting pumping inside my car. i smelled it and all of a sudden my left leg was getting warm :rolleyes:

i ended up breaking out my medical kit i had in the trunk, using a band aid to kink the line so i could get home haha.

at least you discovered what the problem was before doing any real damage to your engine!!

to hell with that, id be making up cuss words. thats the most unfortunate little leak i have ever heard of. so im guessing you need a new alternator?

The alternator worked good once the oil cleared off the belt. I just have to get motivated to get out and clean up the mess.

For those interested in seeing what a flow restrictor looks like, see my Pressure gauge line restrictor post in tech