My feet are sweating!

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
I have a random problem with heat pouring in underneath my dash. You can also feel it coming through the hole where my ashtray used to be and though the shifter boot. Where is this coming from? My heat is off....it will still come through even with the controller on defrost.....it is random (doesn't happen all the time).

Could it be heat from the engine compartment? If so, why is it so random? Could something be leaking behind my dash? Any help would be awesome! New Balance shoes and direct heat on feet do not make a good combination....not for me, my wife or children.

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm... do you ever smell antifreeze inside your car? see what looks to be smoke? does your heater every work like crap? if so the heater core may be the culprit. the smoke you see is actually steam. the heat may be wayward vapor coming from a pinhole in the heater core. and your heater may work like crap due to low internal pressure inside the core. check the carpet under the passenger front side of the dash. if it's damp and smells of antifreeze, it's the heater core.

My heater works great and I've never smelled any antifreeze. Its kinda weird. I'm thinking about trying to get the a/c fixed (converted) in the car but I don't want to use money that I might need b/c of this mystery heat.

First question, do you still have the catalytic converters in your mid pipe? Stock or otherwise, the catalyist gets very, very hot to burn off all of the noxious emissions that are missed durring the combustion process.

srothfuss said:
First question, do you still have the catalytic converters in your mid pipe? Stock or otherwise, the catalyist gets very, very hot to burn off all of the noxious emissions that are missed durring the combustion process.
I have no Catalytic converters.

Ok, with the simple answer eliminated where else can we look? I doubt that there is a new hole in the dash for heat to come pouring in because this would now be a constant things. I wonder if it has something to do with the HVAC system.

dec322 said:
I have a random problem with heat pouring in underneath my dash. You can also feel it coming through the hole where my ashtray used to be and though the shifter boot. Where is this coming from? My heat is off....it will still come through even with the controller on defrost.....it is random (doesn't happen all the time).

Could it be heat from the engine compartment? If so, why is it so random? Could something be leaking behind my dash? Any help would be awesome! New Balance shoes and direct heat on feet do not make a good combination....not for me, my wife or children.

i have the exact same problem, the engine may be perfectly cool and then i start feeling heat. i cant figure it out, mines also random as hell too.