My Fox(es) In Surgery - Looking Like A Car Again,sort Of

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
Don't think I told you guys about this.
About a month ago I woke up early to go to a car show. For the first time in 5 years I forgot to put the hood pins on and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hood came up. Crushed the cowl and did some danmage to the hood.

As I totally suck on body work, took the car to a budd's shop for them to repair the cowl, hood, and repaint. So........ when they removed the fenders that is when the fun started. Seems the prior owner did some half assed windshield repacement and it has been leaking for years, causing a lot of rust. They also decided bondo was the preferred method of repairing rust and cracks.. Needless to say I was more than a little shocked as this was a one owner low mile car and showed zero signs of this kind of rot...

So anyway, the rust and rot is being fixed, thebody parts primed, painted, parts undercoated. and the car will look like new again. A lot of stress and haggling Grundy athey are being great about this.

Luckily i found a used cowl in a junkyard car .

Guess it is actually a good thing this happened and the rust being taken care of before got to the point of totalling the car.

Enjoy the carnage pictures.

20171104_100329.jpg
20171104_100359.jpg
20171104_100405.jpg
20171120_173026.jpg
20171120_172900.jpg
24991546_10208857427228037_2351583878760624918_n.jpg
24862631_10208857429268088_7522558678637896005_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That rust is a shame. Good thing you found it now before it got worse.

I'm seeing rust issues more and more in the A pillar area of our cars. We used to just have to check strut towers and floors....now these cars are at the age where we have to keep our eyes open for this stuff too.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m glad to see they’re getting after it. Did you find a salvage hinge/windshield pillar too?

Does the rot extend into the upper firewall as well?

That’s a beautiful car. Hard to believe it looked bad in there. But, if it was dry, you probably never would have known anyway.

For your hood supports did you have to readjust your hood, thinking about getting some just heard it moves your hood so it’s not flush. Where did you get that cluster in your vents? Was that custom made or a prefab ordered somewhere? What kind of HPs you pushing?

Damn, glad you are finding it before it got too bad. My car was originally from FL and that area was bad on my car too. The original owner let it sit next to a well water sprinkler in their apartment complex every morning and it rotted out behind the door hinge too. Looks like they are doing a great job, what a difficult repair!

All I can think about when I see the pictures of that guy working on your car is how clean your car "was" before the hood flew up. Now your car is sitting out in the rain with no hood and all those polished/chrome parts are getting weathered and lots of debris flying in to every nook and cranny of your engine. Put a friggin blanket over the engine while working on that beautiful car!!! They're not working on a Ford Contour for crying out loud!

Reactions: 5 users
For your hood supports did you have to readjust your hood, thinking about getting some just heard it moves your hood so it’s not flush. Where did you get that cluster in your vents? Was that custom made or a prefab ordered somewhere? What kind of HPs you pushing?

no readjusting needed
not sure what you mean about cluster for vents? If you mean the cowl gauge holder.:LMR sells it
I'm around 450 rwhp

sooooo... Merry Frikking Christmas to me

my buddy at the body shop is making good progress on the driver side..cut out all the rust, fabbed up new sheet metal, mocked up the replacement cowl

So far so good right?

upload_2017-12-19_20-29-37.jpeg

. but....................... went over to the passenger side that had some bondo on it covering the inner frame for the fender and...........................

picture of how the prior owner "repaired" the passenger side
notice the bondo and the part cut into two pieces

passenger 2.jpg

let's pop off the one piece they BONDOED ON shall we? GREAT MORE FRIKKIN RUST
passenger 4.jpg

doesnt EVERYONE BONDO THE DAMN window pillar on?
passenger side 3.jpg

with all of the BONDO and patch pieces removed...HOLY CRAP

passenger side 1.jpg

So it is off to the junkyard to cut out a window pillar and the sheet metal and patch it in. I swear I want to go find the prior owner and kick him in the nuts.

I keep telling myself that its a good thing the hood flew up in hindsight or this car would have been completely rusted out.
Did I mention how much this sucks?

Reactions: 3 users
Ah JEEZ Mike, that sucks so bad!

I'm sorry brother, damn.

Good luck on the parts search. If it gets desperate, let me know. I could probably find something for you. Just got to overcome the 1800 mile barrier will be all.

Reactions: 1 users
sooooo... Merry Frikking Christmas to me

my buddy at the body shop is making good progress on the driver side..cut out all the rust, fabbed up new sheet metal, mocked up the replacement cowl

So far so good right?

upload_2017-12-19_20-29-37.jpeg

. but....................... went over to the passenger side that had some bondo on it covering the inner frame for the fender and...........................

picture of how the prior owner "repaired" the passenger side
notice the bondo and the part cut into two pieces

passenger 2.jpg

let's pop off the one piece they BONDOED ON shall we? GREAT MORE FRIKKIN RUST
passenger 4.jpg

doesnt EVERYONE BONDO THE DAMN window pillar on?
passenger side 3.jpg

with all of the BONDO and patch pieces removed...HOLY CRAP

passenger side 1.jpg

So it is off to the junkyard to cut out a window pillar and the sheet metal and patch it in. I swear I want to go find the prior owner and kick him in the nuts.

I keep telling myself that its a good thing the hood flew up in hindsight or this car would have been completely rusted out.
Did I mention how much this sucks?

Holy crap man, that is crazy!

Just to think.....I junked my favorite car ever for less rust than that.

Makes me feel a little bad for letting her go. I actually watched the crusher smash her...surprising how well the roll cage held up at first.:cry:

Glad your in it to win it.

That rust looks scary.....but imagine if you hadn't found it. That car was a rolling death trap. At least, its in an area that won't really be seen.