My Harmonic Balancer Went South :(

el_kid_1

Oct 30, 2003
Puerto Rico
Today my harmonic balancer wnet south and got starnded on the road. Where can a purchase a good harmonic balancer? I found this one at Jeg's, has anyone use it before?
It is going for $249.99 and it says that it is SFI certified. BTW, what does SFI stands for? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I thought with the 4.6Ls that the harmonic balancer was built into the crank pulley. I see you have a S/C. Most setups use the stock Ford crank pulley with S/C as it won't slow down the S/C like an aftermarket underdrive pulley would do. If that's the case, I'm sure you can find a used one as many of us have put on aftermarket pulleys with our N/A setups and have the stocker sitting in the garage.

LI98GTStang said:
I thought with the 4.6Ls that the harmonic balancer was built into the crank pulley. I see you have a S/C. Most setups use the stock Ford crank pulley with S/C as it won't slow down the S/C like an aftermarket underdrive pulley would do. If that's the case, I'm sure you can find a used one as many of us have put on aftermarket pulleys with our N/A setups and have the stocker sitting in the garage.
The modulera engine is internally balanced and hences there is no external harmonic balancer. However, the crank pulley also serves as a dampner as it has a built-in rubber ring to further aborb any vbration.

My crank pulley for some reason is off the rubber ring! I think it is becuase it was old :shrug:

I'm trying to get the crank pulley off, but I don't know how. When I wrench it, the crank pulley will rotate along and won't let me torque the bolt to loosen it. Is there any trick you guys know to remove the crank bolt?

el_kid_1 said:
The modulera engine is internally balanced and hences there is no external harmonic balancer. However, the crank pulley also serves as a dampner as it has a built-in rubber ring to further aborb any vbration.

My crank pulley for some reason is off the rubber ring! I think it is becuase it was old :shrug:

I'm trying to get the crank pulley off, but I don't know how. When I wrench it, the crank pulley will rotate along and won't let me torque the bolt to loosen it. Is there any trick you guys know to remove the crank bolt?
put the car in fourth gear and set the ebrake and use an impact if ya got one

What could have caused this?
543293_13_full.jpg

543293_14_full.jpg

543293_15_full.jpg

Get your self a good dampner, those elastic ones will eventually come apart, and you got lucky it didnt fly off and cause all kinds of damage, if you have the stock oil pump, you should really get a good dampner, to absorb the vibrations, other wise you could damage your oil pump gears and possibly trigger wheel, Im am using the FRPP damper, but Ive think the fluid filled damper would be the best to protect from engine damage. and with the kind of power you are pulling I wouldnt be suprised if that happened from the extra grip the supercharger puts on the belt causing the balancer to slip.