my idea of a II...

• Sponsors (?)

joeythesaint said:
:mad: Then why in the jumping hell does it say on big cams (X cam, etc.) "Not for use on automatic transmissions?" I'm all confused.

I think what they mean is, not for use with STOCK automatics.
I think most prostreet guys run autos, and I know my buddy did in his 358" Vega that went a quickest of 9.37 quartermile. (2-speed powerglide is a great drag auto when built properly)

I would *hate* trying to launch my car with a manual transmission. The motor is very peaky, so I'd have to slip the clutch or something so it wouldnt bog down under 4500, but then it would smoke the tires. It would suck. With the auto, I just put the trans in 2nd gear, hold the brake, bring the throttle up to 5000rpm(the point just before it starts pulling the brakes) and when I'm ready to launch, I simply let off the brake and touch the throttle a little. Bam, it's out of the hole, and the motor never sees any serious load under 5000 rpm. I'm going to chassis dyno it this summer, and I already discussed it with the guys at the shop. The dyno graph will begin at 5000, and end somewhere around 8400, because at 3/4 throttle or more, the converter just slips at any rpm under 5000.
How can a big cam possibly not like having a converter that won't let the motor ever see low RPMs under load?

joeythesaint said:
I've emailed him and PM'd him a couple of times and never heard anything back from him. That'd be great if you could get some specs.
Yeah, we've been in a few car clubs together. He takes them to a lot of the cruises and shows the clubs have. That's how I get so many pics of his cars. I'll probably have a better chance of seeing him offline.

Gael said:
Got one more Q for ya Penguin.. any idea what those two cars run in the 1/4?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
He once said this one runs 11 flat at 114 mph in the 1/4, but he usually runs 1/8th mile, just because that's what we have around here. I don't know if he's gotten it faster because it's been awhile since I've seen him.
About the one with the hillborn scoop, I don't know if he's run it at the strip or not.
View attachment 477122