My New 03 Terminator

Creepy847

Apr 27, 2007
Hi folks Im Creepy an finally God has shined his sunshine on my sorry ARSE! ;-)

I bought 2 Cobras in the past 2 years a conv 99 pretty much stock an a 01 which has 27,000 on it mint with afew minor improvments, basically no cats an exhaust an a chip.

Im not a engine guy what so ever and I dont race any of these on street or drag. I cant shift for **** an would only embarrass myself an ruin the car so I basically hang out at Tasca Fords Racing Dept with afew friends an watch cars dyno. I think its pretty cool an Im the kind of guy that would annoy the die hards with one question after another. I only retain about 22% of what they say so I end up asking the same question 3x times.

Now getting to my story. Last week I received a call from Balise Chevrolet an they told me that I one a prize. I knew it was a gimmick of some sort, but it was a free weekend package an I thought my wife an I could get a baby sitter an then spend a weekend arguing somewhere else besides home. So her an I jumped in the car an headed down there.

So Im sitting there filling out the paper work an they say you have 2 nights an 3 days at any Ramada Inn in the following places. Im like yea yea cool thank you. I stand up an shake hands an then I say " You wouldnt happen to have any 03/04 Cobras would you?

So his face lights up an he says we just got one on a a trade for a new Vette yesterday its in the back waiting for the service check an cleaning. So my wife is giving me that look like hey here we go again your buying another one? I say yes but theyre getting faster an faster honey.

So we walk out an right away I say hmmmm.. Mods I can feel them. The car has stock rims an F-1s, but its lowered an looks nice an mean. Now comes my big questions, how many miles an how much.

My sales guy an we will call him Chuck say Creeps its 25,999 an then he says I think its 17,000 miles on it one owner. Now Im thinking holy smokes this is too good to be true. Here where I live you dont find stuff like this unless your prepared to pull your draws down an bite hard.

So I look at it an the interior is mint the car looks mint an straight an theres great tread so Im excited. Theres one small dent the size of a pencil eraser on the passagener side you can only see at an angle so Im like **** this car looks the part. My wife is standing there saying hey Im getting cold make a decision an I say Chuck Ill be back in the morning without the baggage.

So I start looking over the net comparing prices with miles an other things an figure out that hey its not a bad price. Now be aware that Ive been looking for a Teminator for the last 6 months. Its spring here an Im at a Chevy dealership not expecting this so Im pretty excited to say the least.

So that night after researching I decide that Im going to go in there shake hands with Chuck an offer him 20,000 an thats it. So next morning I get up I walk in an I sit down. Chuck seems to be a new employe so Im thinking he may need a deal here. So I say 20,000 cant go no higher youve seen how crappy my wife is.

He says hmmmmm not sure Ill be back. 15 min later he comes back says its a deal, but Ill have to pay the 733.00 sales tax on the car. I said no problem. That day they had the car serviced an cleaned for me. I left with the car an the follwing day I brought it to Tasca Racing in RI an got in line along with 4 other cars to be dynoed.

Now heres where it gets great.

The first car to be run is the new GT500 Cobra with Mods. Extremely fast from what Ive been told. So everyone is standing around talking smack an Im bascically gonna be the guy with the least HP. Thats cool I can tell right away the car has some basic mods but I havent even really looked at anything. Its not leaking any fluids from what I can see an Im on good tires. Im ready to roll.

So the GT500 makes 3 runs on the dyno. Best run is 611 RWHP. Nelson seems pretty happy but says hes going to mod more soon.

Next is a 2007 GT moddifed to what Tasca Ford calls the Cobra Jet. Its got an upgraded Exhaust an a Wipple 2 screw blower with other mods. Its been retuned an theyre hoping to see 500 RWHP.

So they make 3 runs an the best run turns out to be 483 RWHP. Now im watching all this thinking wow Im gonna be happy with 420 to 430. Doug is running the dynos an he says looks like you might make 430 if your lucky. He ask what mods I have an I tell him not really sure. Its the way it was yesterday when I bought it. So he does afew checks to make sure it wont blow up during the runs an says okay we are ready.

So he starts doing his thing an everyone is kind of standing around with theyre fingers in the ears yelling about other things besides an 03 Terminator thinking this isnt gonna have much more than stock.

So after the first run Doug gets out get on the computer an is scratching his head saying this cant be right. He goes over to the car an looks down an say **** now I see. No smaller pulley on the blower shaft but theres a much bigger crank pulley on the engine.

First run turns out to be 578 HP at the crank an about 530 at the tires. Hes pretty impressed we run again. Slightly lower. End up running the 3rd run an its about 550 on the crank an still over 500 at the rear wheels.

Boost pressure is 18 if I remember correctly. So with that said it turns out that I have over 500+ HP for only 20,733 an they filled the tank for me with the goodstuff I know that cause I drover Chuck to the fuel startion. After my run a GT-40 made 3 runs an turned out to be the baddest boy in the lot. Not only was it the loudest of us all he made an incredible 718 RWHP with flames coming out the tail pipes when he shut down. For sure the most powerful car Ive ever been around street legal too to boot. Im sure Doug said it was slightly modified but I have no clue what was done to it.

So with that said I left there as happy as a pig in poop an tried to show my wife my joy when I returned home only to be told that she wanted me to take out the trash an that I was staying home an watching the kids that night cause she was going out with the girls. I could care less cause today is my birthday an what better present could I ask for other than to finally have found a Termanator an to find one with 500+ at rear wheels with only 18,000+ miles for under 21,000 is a gift from the gods.

Also on hand during the dynos runs that day was Bob Tasca Sr. He still hangs out at the speed shop an keeps telling Doug that hes going to be put about a mile from the shop cause the dynos are too loud. A very nice guy who will walk right up introduce himeslf an ask you any number of questions or answer anything you ask him about the Mustang or Ford in general. Heres alittle of his bio.

Bob Tasca, Sr., Inducted 2003 Founder, Tasca Ford, Providence, Rhode Island. During the nineteen sixties Tasca Ford was synonymous with Ford Performance. Mr. Tasca coined the term, "Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday." He was the father of the Cobra Jet 428 and a key sponsor for the Boss 429. Over the decades, he effectively used his strong influence at Ford to keep the Mustang true to its heritage as it has progressed from the 2nd on through to the 5th generation vehicles.

Initially hired as a 40 cent-an-hour mechanic, Tasca wound up running with a crowd that included Henry Ford II, Lee Iacocca and Carroll Shelby. Although he earned a Ph.D. in engineering from Roger Williams University, the skills that created the first Ford dealership to be No. 1 in BOTH sales volume and customer satisfaction were developed on the street. *"Bob Tasca was not a smart man," he said, referring to himself in the third person. "Bob Tasca learned from a lot of very, very smart people at Ford, basically because I asked a lot of questions and remembered most of the answers." *From 17-year-old "grease monkey" at Sandager Ford in 1943, Tasca climbed the ladder, becoming sales manager in 1948 and General Manager in 1949. Four years later, he opened his own dealership, making complete customer satisfaction his main selling point. *Despite his sales success, Tasca became concerned in the early 1960s that FoMoCo was being upstaged by the "muscle cars" being developed by General Motors and Chrysler. *As a result, he commissioned Holman & Moody to build a 406-powered 1962 Ford Galaxie that chief mechanic John Healy immediately drove to 13.30 second quarter mile times, a performance impressive enough to cause Lawton to abandon the Chevy 409 with which he had been taunting Tasca and join the blue oval brigade. *With Lawton, Tasca was at the forefront of the development of the 427-powered 1964 Ford Fairlane that became known as the "Thunderbolt." In 1966, at Tasca's behest, Holman & Moody built the first long-nose, altered wheelbase, match race Mustang, the precursor to today's Funny Cars. It was called the "Mystery 9" Mustang because of its 9-second quarter mile times. The number subsequently was altered to reflect eight and seven second times. *Finally, in 1968, Tasca Ford built the Cobra Jet prototype that would become what Tasca called "the fastest production-built car in the world at that point. I'm not talking top speed, "I'm talking run fast, get up and go. It was a 12-second street machine in the 1960s." *Now, with his name prominently emblazoned on Force's Mustang as well as on those of Pedregon and Densham, Tasca Ford has come full circle. Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday.

I would post my dyno results but I dont have a scanner. The Dyno we used is a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer at Tasca Ford in Cranston RI. Alot of you know alot more about the equipment an how it works than I do.

Well I made this into a really long story an forgive me for that. Im gonna post afew pics I took of the car for you too.

Thanks for reading.

R/S

Creepy847

• Sponsors (?)

First off, nice find. :nice:

What formula are you using to estimate your flywheel HP? Just curious... What was the A/F ratio and max timing advance at during these runs? Post up the dyno runs if you would please. (*Hint* take a digital picture of the dyno sheet) :hail2:

I'm assuming you have a ported Eaton on your car? How do you get 18lbs with a lower only? With an Eaton you'd need to be running a 2.76 upper coupled with a 6lb lower to get that kind of boost. :eek:

You really need to get a handle on exactly what mods you have on that car. Get someone who knows Terminators to look at it and help spot the obvious stuff.

Welcome to :SNSign:

Have you ever read this before? Click Me

U.M.

Damn dude, that was a great f'n story! Thanks for taking the time to write it :flag:

Your Cobra sounds AWESOME, congrats and enjoy :)

If you ever have any problems with that thing or questions about it post them here and we will help you.

Welcome to StangNet.

Uncle Meat an Kilgore thank you for the reply. I have no idea what formula was used by Doug, but Im very tempted to drive down there right now an find out this morning.

Before I comment on anything eles Ill try to find out about the ratio an the advance timing too.

Next week Ill take some pics of my 2nd dyno run at Ocean State Performance. Pat is gonna Dyno it again with a different dyno that simulates the car under load an put the O2 sensor deeper in the exhaust. How they do that Im not sure, but during my dyno runs at Tasca, Doug said that the results were showing the car was running lean.

He said he could retune the car down to a safer level, but I would loose HP that way. Of course I told him that I didnt want to cause I never drive the car very hard.

So after this next set of runs at OC Performance Ill have a good idea of what Im truly running. Pat said it would be nice to compare what they are getting there an what we get using his setup. I kind of would like to know myself.

Im waiting on a new computer moniter too so I cant post any new pics of the engine or dyno sheet cause my computer doesnt have a memory card slot. My daughters is the one I used to post the car shots an 2 days ago we had a storm an it looks like the her monitor had a surge. The monitor will no longer turn on so with that said Ill have one hopefully Tuesday for her.

Also I think Ill wait to see the next set of results just to make sure Im not making an ass out of myself. Doug swears by Tasca dyno machine which Steve said was over 80,000 and is pretty much brand new.

A big problem here is I dont have anyone else my age who has any interest in Cobras. Most of my buddies drive trucks or suvs an have tons of kids. I just turned 43 today an Im still a nut for cobras an hopefully will be till Im old.

Im going to go to Tasca now an talk to Doug an find the answers to those questions Meat. Ill post up when I return.

Also thank you for the link. Ive been to Bobscobra website before great site.

Okay talk to you later an again nice meeting you both.

R/S

Creepy847

Dyno SHeet

Heres is some pictures of the engine an dyno run I did yesterday. I made 2 runs on the dyno. This is the pic is the first 505.2 the 2nd was 499.3 rear wheel Hp. A slight difference with the results last week.

From what we know we are running.

Large Crank pulley no idea what size pic below.

Bassani X Pipe an exhaust.

Pro M racing Maf.

Stock injectors.

Not sure if anyone else might see something I missed.

R/S
Creepy847

Get a tape measure and check the width of your crank pulley.

Stock lower pully is 7.60 inches.

If it measures:

8.00 inches across it's a 2lb pulley
8.60 inches across it's a 4lb pulley
9.10 inches across it's a 6lb pulley
9.55 inches across it's a 8lb pulley
10.00 inches across it's a 10lb pulley

Your top pulley, if it's still stock should be 3.65 inches across. Now if you're running a stock upper and a 10lb lower then your max boost would be approximately 15PSI. With the mods you've listed there must be something we're missing like a port job on the blower. No lower only eaton equipped Cobra is going to make 500RWHP on just the mods you've listed thus far.

I'm also confused as to why the previous owner added a Pro-M MAF to the car? :scratch: really no need IMHO.

U.M.

Uncle Meat,

I just went out there an measured the top an bottom pulley. The top one is 3.65 an the bottom one is 10 inches or as you stated a 10lb pulley.

The car is the exact same way it was when I bought it last week. I couldnt get any past history on it from the sales guy besides the fact that a female owned the car an her husband had the work done to it.

I had Steve check the car history at Tasca Ford an it came up as routine maintence, but nothing besides that. On the 19th Im bringing the car back in for a recall installation that has something to do with the fuel pedal sticking.

Other than that theres nothing else I can give you. I have no idea if the car is ported or not. I have one friend who works at Karls East Coast speed that might have time to look at it closer. This time of the year is hard here cause Tasca an Karls are swamped an dont have much time for my situation.

If you can think of any reason why they would add a Pro M MAF please share with me as I would like to know that answer too.

Thanks for all your feedback its appreciated.

R/S

Creepy847

:shrug:

We're missing something here. Either that, or the dyno is off.

500 RWHP from just a 10lb lower on a unported Eaton, regardless of any other bolt-on mods, is pretty unlikely.

U.M.

P.S. Keep an eye on your alternator. If the previous owner did not replace the stock alternator pulley with a smaller one, then it's being over-spun by that gigantic lower pulley and will be prone to failure.

If the blower was ported by Steggy it will have a serial number stenciled on it. The stencile is located on the front of the blower, left of the snout, right above where the blower mounts to the lower intake.