Progress Thread My new 5.0 engine bay progress

Hey guys this is a progress thread for my new garage queen 1988 foxbody mustang 5.0 stock bottom and stock top end as far as I know. Does sound like possibly has a mildcam. Please tell me if you see any other upgrades in the engine bay. Or if anything looks off. Its new to me too lol. Thanks all. Again my goals are to go take it to shows and get the engine bay looking and feeling like a winner. Hoping for respectable 350+ whp setup. I got a sharp pain in my gut when i see the blue paint chippin on the heads throttle body and the intake manifold...gotta go. I have three options. Trick flow top end kit. Super charger. Crate motor. Supporting mods and definitely couple nice gauges inside.My budget is 8 grand. Parts and labor guys since Im not a mechanic nor do I have the time!! (2 boys naggy wife and overtime)

Bbk longtubes
Bbk offroad h
Flows dumped
Msd distributor/ wires aftermarket coils
Bbk 70mm tb
Sve aluminim radiator
Dual electric fans on toggle switch
Hot air intake.... Gotta change that
6 point cage
Shortshifter not sure which brand
New King Cobra clutch feels like a heavy race clutch...
Aluminum driveshaft
15 inch drags and skinnies
Weld wheels
Cowl hood

Sure Im missing something

Attachments

• 20190519_103011.jpg
    20190519_103011.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190519_124954.jpg
    20190519_124954.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20190519_125029.jpg
    20190519_125029.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 20190519_125037.jpg
    20190519_125037.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 20190519_130126.jpg
    20190519_130126.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Id say go with the TFS kit and maybe a stroker kit. May not hit 350 whp but be pretty darn close.

You'll need to convert to mass air first, and camshafts with speed density tend to be difficult so hopefully there isn't one in there now. If so i'd put mass air at the top of your list

Id say go with the TFS kit and maybe a stroker kit. May not hit 350 whp but be pretty darn close.

You'll need to convert to mass air first, and camshafts with speed density tend to be difficult so hopefully there isn't one in there now. If so i'd put mass air at the top of your list
Thanks so much for your input bud. Im leaning towards the trick flow too. Stupid question. What is and how do I Know if im Mass air or speed density?

I agree with this. The top end kit will put you in neighborhood of 300 rwhp and make the car lots more fun to drive. Plus it's a great foundation if you want to add a blower later.

Unless your car is a CA car all '88s were speed density. If it had been converted you would have a MAF sensor connected behind your air filter, but your car is lacking that so it is still SD.

They look like this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ZeeQE3lmA,prmr:1,pid:8012900136493891129,cs:1

Thanks so much for your input bud. Im leaning towards the trick flow too. Stupid question. What is and how do I Know if im Mass air or speed density?

I don't see a mass air meter, so I assume its speed density.

Best way to tell is to look at the ECU in the pass kick panel area. There will be a 3 digit code that will identify the ECU.

Overall I see a fairly stock 5.0 without any major red flags. The previous owners choice of 70mm tb and egr spacer on a stock intake may have been a bit optimistic but one less part for you to buy for the TFS kit.

However, if it is speed density, first thing to do is swap to mass air. Requires buying the meter, the intake duct and a harness for the MAF and some minor repinning of the ECU harness

That shifter looks like the SVE econo shifter. Meh, but as long as it has the set screws to limit shifter travel then I would run it and spend money else where. With that budget you have a lot of options and will get a lot of different opinions, think carefully about your combo and plan it out for how you want to drive rather than a HP number. Any info on the condition of the transmission? If you baby a T5 behind 300ish hp it should be fine, but with those drag radials you’re one hole shot or power shift away from a disaster. Here's what I would consider, new transmission (which cut your budget in half) then upgrade to mass air and build a top end with quality used parts to keep on your budget. Used TFS or AFR heads, custom cam, Systemax II. Like I said, a lot of different opinions.

Last edited: