My NEW progress thread. stangnet style ;)

• Sponsors (?)

a little teaser pic of the engine. BTW i got my harness for the swap now. and every other part i need so im gonna be starting the swap real soon.

sorry there so blurry. camera was on a weird setting

P1010639.jpg

P1010638.jpg

spraying is one thing, properly mixing the paints activators, knowing when to apply and reapply , know where and when to blend..... theres alot into it, but once you do it once , you kind of get the hang of it. Im not saying painting is easy, but your right, its alot easier than most people think. The wetsand and buff is the most labor intensive (post prepping). Take your time , keep the dust down and fumes out of your lungs..youll be good to go!!

yea thank god i have a paint booth, proffessional guns, oven and proffessional painter at my disposal. :D

yea he dosent know crap about construction and needed a slab poured for a metal building and i dont know crap about paint and need my car painted. :nice:

spraying is one thing, properly mixing the paints activators, knowing when to apply and reapply , know where and when to blend..... theres alot into it, but once you do it once , you kind of get the hang of it. Im not saying painting is easy, but your right, its alot easier than most people think. The wetsand and buff is the most labor intensive (post prepping). Take your time , keep the dust down and fumes out of your lungs..youll be good to go!!

Looks great BK! I wish would have taken the time to repaint my 5.0L block, heads, intake, valve covers, accessories and brackets!! I just slapped it in as it was, and now that "Project 81 Hack Job" is all complete under the hood, my 5.0L looks terrible compared to it. I will consider pulling a few things apart.

well i got the 4 banger up on jacks and ive started stripping it. i have everything i need for the swap together now so its under way.

i should be done with the swap in a few weeks. im going to paint my engine bay while im in there. not doing a smooth job just basic paint and wire hiding.

P1010672.jpg

P1010673.jpg

This side of the bay is in pretty good shape.

P1010675.jpg

my sn 95 rear end... pain in the butt.

P1010676.jpg

but its coming along and so far so good. i cant wait to have it running.

im deff gonna do a 2 tone scheme. im thinking either silver and blue or silver and black kinda like these.

196495.jpg

which one do you guys think looks the best?

This is f'n HOT! I'm a sucker for deep blue mustangs, but thats a two tone job like I've never seen. :drool:

Anyway, glad to see your making progress man. Do you have any kind of timeline for completion?

This is f'n HOT! I'm a sucker for deep blue mustangs, but thats a two tone job like I've never seen. :drool:

Anyway, glad to see your making progress man. Do you have any kind of timeline for completion?

sure do man. i hope to be done with it by mid summer. paint and all.

well i got the fuel lines in tonight. that was a pain in my butt. like to have never got them behind the damn strut and that one brake line.

you move stuff so fast its nuts. what color did you decide on?

well i decided on silver but after trying it ive learned its one of the hardest colors to lay down. a pro also told me that today. the metallics in it lay in different directions and its hard to be consitant with silvers and light golds. so im back to the drawing board on it i guess. unless i can get good at spraying silver come paint time.

if i cant get the hang of it im gonna base/clear it in black and single stage black all my jambs and under the hood. im gonna practice with the silver over the next few days and see what i can come up with though.

well i decided on silver but after trying it ive learned its one of the hardest colors to lay down. a pro also told me that today. the metallics in it lay in different directions and its hard to be consitant with silvers and light golds. so im back to the drawing board on it i guess. unless i can get good at spraying silver come paint time.

if i cant get the hang of it im gonna base/clear it in black and single stage black all my jambs and under the hood. im gonna practice with the silver over the next few days and see what i can come up with though.

any metallic are going to lay down like that. black if this is truly your first time painting a car you better be ready to spent alot of time wet sanding. and you better make sure the body is flawless...black will show anything and everything.
the first truck i paint ( 85 302 ranger ) we went with a really dark grey that mis well of been black. only in direct sunlight could you see it was grey and i think between me and my dad we had about 10 hours in wet sanding on it.

just be prepared to spend alot of time on it....after all the work your doing don't skimp on it.

any metallic are going to lay down like that. black if this is truly your first time painting a car you better be ready to spent alot of time wet sanding. and you better make sure the body is flawless...black will show anything and everything.
the first truck i paint ( 85 302 ranger ) we went with a really dark grey that mis well of been black. only in direct sunlight could you see it was grey and i think between me and my dad we had about 10 hours in wet sanding on it.

just be prepared to spend alot of time on it....after all the work your doing don't skimp on it.

yea wetsanding to make the paint even only works on singlestage paints. if you lay down a base of silver and dont get it right you cant see it until the clear is on and by then its to late you have to strip everything.

and its not just the point in metallics its the lighter metallics. i was advised (by a pro) that i could do a dark (as menyion above) grey and t wouldnt show up. thats why im going with black. and no matter what color i chose im gonna spend alot of time on it.

BK--Silver is very hard to lay down right. Don't get down on yourself.

I have been to collision shops who have just painted silver on a car that was wrecked, and even they can't get it to lay even. I saw them out in the sun and they are loaded with stripes. I could see every pass they made, and I have seen them blotchy also. Blotchy is when the paint has random dark and light areas.

Even with practice silver is the hardest metallic to get to look good. I have painted dark metallics, like blue,maroon and they looked much better than silver.