My Racing my Dads Mach 1

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
Here is a vid of me racing in my Dads 1971 Mach 1. This is at our old track before it was torn down. The run was a 12.79 @108.90 I bogged the **** out of it though. My dad has gone a best of 12.54 @111.01 the BFGs hook pretty good. Oh and the jokes the guys are telling and the reason my dad is all stoked is because i missed 3rd in the first two runs because shifting that top loader feels like im driving a semi truck, i hit it from then on though.

Vid

• Sponsors (?)

WhiteDevilbecause shifting that top loader feels like im driving a semi truck said:
i used to have a 69 cougar w/ a 351w and a toploader that my dad and i jacked with. he's really old school, so he took out the syncros and grinded down every other tooth and refilled it with atf. after that the only time you needed the clutch was on the launch and it actually shifted pretty smooth. :D

kristopher said:
why did they tear the track down? Too old?
Track opened in 1950. But the guy that currently owned the land didnt like racing. He only leased it to the people that wanted racing. So some other rich bastards came along and bought the land from him and now its gonna be office buildings.

I miss carlsbad!! :(

I only made it down there once before they tore it down. It was a really nice track. the only one i have been to that is smart enough to have people back into the water box rather than have everyone drive through it.

thats like the track that used to be up by my grandmas house in charlotte called shuffletown. it was a nice track, even had rather large events there, but the city ended up moving further out, and the new residents didnt like the noise from the track so it got shut down and is now abandoned, there is enormous grass growing through the stands and where the tree was. Sometimes people are stupid though, you know, if you choose to move into a neighborhood right by a track, you should know there will be noise, and deal with it, you chose to live there.

where do you race now?

the closest 1/4 mile to you that i know of is fontana. and it sucks there compared to carlsbad cause you only get 4 runs. and Lacr is pretty damn far for you. i'm right between carlsbad and lacr. It's not so bad for me because i'm right in the middle of all the so cal tracks. But i feel sorry for you.

Yeah its lame. Its not even the distance. I mean Cbad was like the fastest track in so cal. it was only 600ft above sea level. All the other track ar at least 1500ft. So lame. Buuut having to drive 2 hours instead of 25min does suck hard core. And the fact that if i break my AAA doesnt cover me that far.

back in the day it was one of the top tracks. It certainly had a lot of history!
It was my favorite track that I've been to and I've been to all 4 tracks in so cal that hold street legal events. LACR, fontana, carlsbad, and Irwindale (1/8 mile).