Interior and Upholstery My rebuilt speedo took a sht

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hopefully someone can help me fix it. I’ve replaced the cable, properly lubing it and making sure that it went in the sheath nice and smooth. It is not binding. It turns freely. My original speedo cluster bounces around to no end. So I swapped out my speedo cluster with another one which works fine but makes a :poo: load of noise. I am certain it’s not the cable. I think it’s in the drum that spins on the head unit of the cluster. I’ve cleaned it, it’ll get better and then make noise again. I’m sick and tired of pulling out the cluster. I feel like something is going to finally break, all those connectors for the lamps, the green ribbon back there, etc. I know that at least one of the thousands of members on here has had to deal with this. I read that it’s not a good idea to oil the back of the cluster but it seems that this could help. I haven’t done it cuz I read not I do that. What the hell can I do to fix this annoying problem???

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a link to jrichker's write-up on the bouncing and squeaking speedometer, I know, I know, you have already done the things in the thread, but hey, maybe it will encourage you to not lube the speed gauge itself.
There used to be a speedometer shop near me but the old guy is gone now and the young man that took it over didn't last long.

Yeah I’ve searched speedo shops in my area and can’t find one. I guess I’ll have to search out Speedo’s on eBay and hope one of them works properly. I’ll have to match up the numbers for the mileage. Anyone done that before?

The green lube that the cable came with from LMR> I don't think its the cable, Blown. The needle will jump around a little and the sound is consistent with the jumps. And its really not a sweak. It sounds mechanical.

You could be right...however...Chinese lube, could be toxic crap. Probably a copy of Corrosion Block, also green, but extremely expensive, which I would not hesitate to use for this application & many others. $20 for a 16oz tub. They now make 3oz tubes.
I use the aerosol spray all the time, $20/can. These are versions of aerospace products, ACF-50
https://www.corrosionblock.com/products/cb-grease.html
CB.jpg

I would spray Corrosion Block on the drum that spins on the head unit of the cluster. This stuff is so good, it resurrected the driver's power window switches which work just like new now. If I only had the liquid aerosol, I would use it on the cable, too. I'm in a high humidity environment & switches are easily corroded. Once sprayed with Corrosion Block, it seems to last forever, I mean like years.

West Marine is a stocking dealer, as well as Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
Odometer recal is easy.

See the rod the white idler teeth ride on?
IMG_5114.JPG

Basically tap it loose from one end, spin the odometer wheels to desired miles, and the reset the white wheels and tap the bar back in

IMG_5113.JPG

Look, a 0 mile speedometer. Bet you never saw that before.

IMG_5115.JPG

Honestly, its so easy it's scary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users