Interior and Upholstery My rebuilt speedo took a sht

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve got a new gear, VSS, cable and rebuilt speedo. Maybe I did something wrong. The speedo worked great for about 100 miles. I’ll tear it all out, for the 3rd time and double check it. I’ve had this :poo: apart so many times I could do it in my sleep. :O_o:

Its easy to swap out just the speedo guage. I just need to find one that's in good working condition. I had mine rebuilt because I like the "Ford Motorsport" below the trip counter.
4705912C-3E4D-4891-AC00-523C4A68A377.png

What year is yours? I have an extra one that is probably good. It'll be a while, as I have a lot of other priorities, but if you're still having issues when I get around to it, you can have it.

Thanks for the offer FastDriver, my car is a 88. Ill let you know. I would like to get this thing working. Ive searched out some old posts and online, but no one really said if they got theirs working. Most people say they'll work for a few days then go back to having the same issues. At least its not making a :poo: ton of racket like it was. Its just stuck.

Yeah, I'm working through a presumably minor speedo issue in the 93, too. It reads like 5-7 mph sitting still and I believe I still have the wrong speedo gear. So, below 40 it reads high, at 40 it reads correctly, and above that it's progressively lower than my actual speed. I think I just need to pull the needle and the 0mph stop and adjust them, but I went ahead and picked up an entire cluster, just because. I know that the cluster is a 91-93 cluster and not compatible with an 88. Do you know if the speedo itself is compatible with yours?

I don't think the speedos themselves are different. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There are people who install(ed) later 91-93 140 versions in the 87-88 cars. Maybe an adjustment is what I need to address. Its one of the things I haven't tried.

Blakeus,
I was waiting for your report, thanks. Sorry about the rebuild. My old speedo also squeaked and then failed completely. I already installed a new cable and gearing in the transmission, so I bought a used Ebay speedo ($100) that was advertised not to waver or squeak. It doesn't squeak (I think) but it jumps everywhere until about 50 mph and then settles down. Now if can find the right speedo gear as this "new" speedo reads about 10 mph low. At least it has approximately speeds above 50. Below 50 who cares. Also, my 91 LX is so noisy and my sounds system is so loud, the speedo squeaks disappear.
Next step along the path--an aftermarket mechanical speedo which requires calibration; and then a GPS speedo ?
Nah, I'll just stick with my Iphone speedo ap.
George
91 LX with the usual stuff--headers, clutch, driveshaft, K&N air, etc.

Blakeus,
I was waiting for your report, thanks. Sorry about the rebuild. My old speedo also squeaked and then failed completely. I already installed a new cable and gearing in the transmission, so I bought a used Ebay speedo ($100) that was advertised not to waver or squeak. It doesn't squeak (I think) but it jumps everywhere until about 50 mph and then settles down. Now if can find the right speedo gear as this "new" speedo reads about 10 mph low. At least it has approximately speeds above 50. Below 50 who cares. Also, my 91 LX is so noisy and my sounds system is so loud, the speedo squeaks disappear.
Next step along the path--an aftermarket mechanical speedo which requires calibration; and then a GPS speedo ?
Nah, I'll just stick with my Iphone speedo ap.
George
91 LX with the usual stuff--headers, clutch, driveshaft, K&N air, etc.
There you go, a speedo app is what I need. I just hate when things don't work. This issue bugs the :poo: outta me! I left a message with the company who rebuilt it, lets see what they say.

Last edited:
So I spoke to the speedo repair guy and he wants me to pull out my speedo and cable and bring him both parts so he can test them. He thinks its my cable. He's saying that the cable is putting too much pressure on the back of the speedo head. But when I remove it, the cable just falls on the opening on the back of the dash. No tension on it at all. Starts at the tranny and It follows the bottom of the car and up the frame rail just fine. This might be something Ill learn to live with. What would you guys do?? I really don't feel like pulling this :poo: out again, had it out too many times. We'll see.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you didn’t read my thread Mike. ;)

New cable, vss, gear and ”a supposedly rebuilt speedo.” At least I paid for one.

Last edited: