My turbo install, part I

Brads Coupe

Sweeeeet!!!
Founding Member
Apr 18, 2000
Calgary , Alberta, Canada
Thought I would share the progress of my turbo install with you guys. The motor is getting new heads, intake, fuel system and more as well.

Here is a link to the start of my venture http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=420291

So the car went in on Thurs and things are progressing quickly. So far so good. A compression test was done on the motor and it was 150 across the board. The tops of the pistons look to be consistent with a good burn pattern. All the walls were smooth and no apparent damage. So far so good! :thumbsup:

Engine bay before work started.
DSCF0059.JPG

Intake, rad, fan and most of the lines removed.
DSCF0063.JPG

Heads, water pump, balancer and more lines removed.
DSCF0081.JPG

The motor will be pulled, cleaned and painted. More pics will come soon.

• Sponsors (?)

Not to blow off topic on your thread, but I just couldn't be more amped about your FR500 wheels. Those things are sexier than a three-balled tomcat; I want a set so bad it hurts to sit down. You didn't have major problems fitting those monsters under an '89? I'm sure I've asked you this before, but I'm just totally starstruck. I know if there's a suspension out there they can be made to work with, it's mine- and my '91 has bigger wells in the front fenders than your '89 does, but I'm still pretty sceptical.

Thanks, I have absolutely no problems with the 18's fitting under the car. The back tires rub a little with more then two people in the car over big bumps but other then that i have no issues at all. The car is lowered as well.

stangbear427 said:
Not to blow off topic on your thread, but I just couldn't be more amped about your FR500 wheels. Those things are sexier than a three-balled tomcat; I want a set so bad it hurts to sit down. You didn't have major problems fitting those monsters under an '89? I'm sure I've asked you this before, but I'm just totally starstruck. I know if there's a suspension out there they can be made to work with, it's mine- and my '91 has bigger wells in the front fenders than your '89 does, but I'm still pretty sceptical.

Are you gonna replace that fram too? :shrug:
Ive been told(and I read an article about those) the fram isnt a good choice.
just a small observation!

*I believe walmart even sells motorcraft filters now
Ill be following this thread closely as I want to install a turbo in the future!
GOOD LUCK!!!

LOL, of course. Everything is being replaced except for the block and the rotating assembly.

black82fiveoh said:
Are you gonna replace that fram too? :shrug:
Ive been told(and I read an article about those) the fram isnt a good choice.
just a small observation!

*I believe walmart even sells motorcraft filters now
Ill be following this thread closely as I want to install a turbo in the future!
GOOD LUCK!!!

After hours of scrubbing and a really soar back, I now have a nice clean engine bay :thumbsup:

DSCF0094.JPG

DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0096.JPG

This picture is for you Scott (Wrath)
DSCF0097.JPG

DSCF0098.JPG

DSCF0099.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG

Engine with the turbo manifolds, TFS heads, rocker arms, 7 liter deep sump pan, high volume oil pump, SFI approved balancer and Edelbrock high volume water pump.

DSCF0101.JPG

DSCF0102.JPG

DSCF0103.JPG

DSCF0104.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

DSCF0106.JPG

DSCF0107.JPG

Hmm... from the looks of those headers and the big empty engine bay, it may be time for a tubular K-member now. Just a thought. The place I've been discussing my turbo project with actually sells one in the turbo kit, they find they make it so much easier. Looking good! God, I wish I was putting my turbo stroker in! Hopefully soon... you already had one of the best looking notches I've seen in here, now it'll be the biggest ass kicker too!:nice:

No K-member for now. Next year is the new block and tranny.

stangbear427 said:
Hmm... from the looks of those headers and the big empty engine bay, it may be time for a tubular K-member now. Just a thought. The place I've been discussing my turbo project with actually sells one in the turbo kit, they find they make it so much easier. Looking good! God, I wish I was putting my turbo stroker in! Hopefully soon... you already had one of the best looking notches I've seen in here, now it'll be the biggest ass kicker too!:nice: